Talks for Growing Christians
Christ is Superior to Angels
Lesson Number 2
- Christ is superior to angels:
a. because Christ is the Son and angels are servants.
b. because Christ is the King and angels are subject.
c. because Christ is the creator and angels are creatures.
d. because Christ is now seated and the angels are standing.
- Don’t try to contact or communicate with guardian angels.
- The author of Hebrews quotes a number of Old Testament scriptures in this passage. What is his purpose in doing so?
- Name the four points the author emphasizes to show Christ’s superiority over the angels.
- The angels were very significant in the Jewish mind. The Law had been given through the angels. Man was made lower than the angels (Hebrews 2:6-7). How then, in the Jewish mind, could the author show that Christ was greater than the angels?
- The author is showing that Christ is superior to the holy angels. The angels were very important and significant in the Hebrew mind (the author’s audience), and it was assumed that they knew the Old Testament scriptures. So that the readers would not give undue honor to the angels over Christ, the quotations show the superiority of Christ over the angels.
- Christ is superior to angels because
a. Christ is the Son and angels are servants
b. Christ is the King and angels are subject
c. Christ is the creator and angels are creatures
d. Christ is now seated and the angels are standing.
- Review the sub-points of doctrinal point. The author pointed out from the Old Testament scriptures that Christ as the Son of God was superior to the angels. He also pointed out that the angels worship Christ, the Son of God. See Hebrews 1:6.
- Christ is the eternal and immutable Creator. Re-read Hebrews 1:10-12 which quotes Psalm 102:25-2 Think about the One who is worthy of our worship and adoration. Is He the object of all your love and obedience?
- Consider the work of angels today. They are servants to carry our the Lord’s will with the speed of wind and the ferocity of fire. Note Hebrews 1:7 and Psalm 104: Angels are spirit beings sent forth to minister to believers. How do they minister to believers? Do you have a guardian angel story?
- Don’t try to contact to communicate with guardian angels. This may be a temptation, but shun it, for any contact with the spirit world opens the door for Satan to cloud our minds. Demonic angels would love to have you enter this world. Instead of thanking the angels for their protection, thank the Lord. He is the one who sent them.
- “[Christ] having become so much better than angels…has by inheritance obtained a more excellent name than they.” -Hebrews 1:4
- “To the Son He says, ‘Your throne, O God, is forever and ever.’” -Hebrews 1:8
- “Are they not all ministering spirits sent forth to minister to believers.” -Hebrews 1:14