Talks for Growing Christians
The Faith of Abraham and Sarah
Lesson Number 22
- Believers should follow the faith of Abraham.
- Believers should follow the faith of Sarah.
- Do we have 20/20 spiritual vision?
- How are heroes of the faith models for us?
- What is meant by “saving faith”?
- What is meant by “living by faith ”?
- Which must come first – saving faith or living by faith?
- Name two things that characterized Abraham’s living faith.
- Was Abraham taking a blind leap of faith when he went from Ur, not knowing where he was going?
- Where will Abraham have a permanent dwelling place?
- Their faith looked forward to the promises of God. They believed and acted on this faith. As such, they lived by faith and thus became models for us to live by faith.
- Saving faith is looking back and believing what the word of God has said about the Person of Christ, who died for our sins on the cross.
- Living by faith is looking forward and living our lives based on what God has revealed about the future.
- Saving faith must come first.
- Obedience and patience. See Hebrews 11:8-10.
- No. It was a reasonable step-by-step faith because God was guiding and Abraham was trusting God.
- In the coming kingdom of Christ on this earth and in the heavenly Jerusalem.
- Refer to Genesis 15:6 and Romans 4:2- How was Abraham justified? In Hebrews 11, note Abraham’s enduring faith. Put yourself in Abraham’s place when God asked him to leave his homeland. What would you do right now if God called you to leave your home?
- Review the story of Abraham and Sarah concerning God’s promise of a son. The odds were humanly impossible. Remember the doubts that Sarah had, and logically so. However, she changed and believed God, and God saw her faith and not her doubts. How encouraging! Do you have doubts about God’s ability to do the humanly impossible? Remember, God looks at the overall pattern of our lives, even though we’ve had doubts. Like Sarah, are you growing in our faith, no matter what your age?
- The heroes of the faith all died not having seen the promises of God realized in their lifetime. They proved by their lifestyles that they had 20/20 spiritual vision. That is, as strangers and pilgrims in this world, they looked for something better, a city prepared for them by God Himself. Are you looking for the place that Christ has gone ahead to prepare for you? See John 14:2- Do you have 20/20 spiritual vision?
- “By faith Abraham obeyed… ” -Hebrews 11:8-10
- “Therefore from one man, and him as good as dead, were born as many as the stars of the sky in multitude.” -Hebrews 11:12
- “Therefore God is not ashamed to be called their God, for He has prepared a city for them.” -Hebrews 11:13,14,16