Talks for Growing Christians
The Faith of Abel, Enoch, and Noah
Lesson Number 21
- Believers should follow the faith of Abel.
- Believers should follow the faith of Enoch.
- Believers should follow the faith of Noah.
- Do we really want to please God?
- Why is Hebrews chapter 11 such a well-known chapter in the Bible?
- Define or describe the word “faith” as given in Hebrews 11:1-3.
- Did the world create itself?
- Is faith unreasonable?
- When did the first three heroes that are listed here live?
- It is known as the Faith chapter of the Bible. Many heroes of the faith from the Old Testament are listed as examples for us to follow.
- Faith sees what is real but is unseen to the natural eye, including the promises of God. Faith believes what God has revealed about the past, present, and future, and acts on that truth.
- No. God created it. There was no one there to observe it, but God has revealed it to us in His word.
- No. The heroes of Hebrews 11 believed and acted and lived on the basis of what God had revealed. This is the kind of faith that pleases God. See Hebrews 11:2.
- They all lived before the flood.
- Read Genesis 4:3- Discuss why Cain’s offering, the best of his own works, was refused and Abel’s offering was accepted. Was Abel’s offering accepted because he was a shepherd? Were both Cain and Abel aware of God’s revelation of the acceptable way of sacrifice? Relate your discussion to Ephesians 2:8-9. What is the acceptable way to approach God today? Have you come in the way of Cain or in the way of Abel?
- “By faith Enoch was taken away so that he did not see death…before he was taken he had this testimony, that he pleased God.” Hebrews 11:5. How is Enoch a type or picture of the church? Consider Enoch’s reputation – he pleased God! When you die, will your family and friends and neighbors say that you walked with God and that you pleased God? If you live your life based on what God has revealed, you will have this kind of testimony.
- Imagine the ridicule that Noah faced when he was building the ark. He was miles from any sizeable body of water, and rain had never fallen on the earth. In spite of the taunts, Noah preached the truth of the coming flood. See 2 Peter 2: Noah was concerned about his family and prepared an ark to save his household. He believed what God has revealed about the future and he acted on God’s revelation. Have you given your testimony in the face of opposition? Are you concerned about the salvation of your family?
- Do you really want to please God? “Without faith it is impossible to please God.” Hebrews 11:6. Do you have a biblical faith like the heroes of the Bible? Do you believe what God has promised? Are you living your life in light of these promises? Are you diligently seeking the Lord’s direction in every situation?
- “Now faith is the substance of things hoped for, the evidence of things not seen.” -Hebrews 11: 1
- “By faith we understand that he worlds were framed by the word of God.” -Hebrews 11:3
- “But without faith it is impossible to please Him.” -Hebrews 11:6