Talks for Growing Christians
Christ’s Sacrifice is the Fulfillment of God’s Eternal Will
Lesson Number 18
- The many sacrifices under the Law of Moses were not the fulfillment of the will of God.
- The one sacrifice of the Lamb of God was always the intended will of God.
- “Saved by Credit” may be a helpful concept to remember.
- The resurrected Lord serves in a better sanctuary than in the ___________ ___________. Christ has instituted a better covenant than the first covenant of the ___________. He has a better High Priestly ministry than that of ___________.
- In this lesson, there are three special quotations from the Old Testament. What is the main thought in each of these quotations? a) Psalm 110 b) Jeremiah 31 c) Psalm 40 ?
- How many sins were removed by the sacrifices in the Old Testament?
- Why did God institute sacrifices in the Old Testament, if they did not remove sins?
- What is the basis of salvation for New Testament believers? What is the basis of salvation for Old Testament believers?
- earthly tabernacle; law; Aaron
- a) a new and better priesthood b) the new and better covenant c) the new and better sacrifice
- Not a single one (see Hebrews 10:4).
- They were a shadow of the good things to come in Christ (see Hebrews 10:1). They pointed forward to the one great sacrifice to come, the Lamb of God.
- The basis of salvation for All believers is the finished work of Christ.
- Consider how Hebrews 10:5 addresses the Incarnation. As man, the Lord Jesus was born as a baby, but as the Eternal Son of God He communicated with the Father. The Eternal Son became Man in order to die as the Lamb of God for the sins of the world.
- Salvation of Old Testament saints is often misunderstood. Remember, no one, in the Old Testament or New Testament, has been saved apart from the work of Christ. Likewise, the means of salvation has always been by grace through faith in what God has revealed. Discuss the concept “Saved by Credit” and how this can help you understand this issue.
- Aren’t you thankful that God has always intended to provide salvation through the once-for-all sacrifice of His Son? Thank the Lord today that we no longer have to continually offer animal sacrifices, because of the work of Christ.
- “For the law, having a shadow of the good things to come, and not the very image of the things, can never with these same sacrifices, which they offer continually year by year, make those who approach perfect.” -Hebrews 10:1
- “For it is not possible that the blood of bulls and goats could take away sins.” -Hebrews 10:4
- “Therefore, when He came into the world, He said: ‘Sacrifice and offering You did not desire, but a body You have prepared for Me’” -Hebrews 10:5