Talks for Growing Christians
Haggai’s Fourth and Final Sermon
Lesson Number 5
- There will be a great shake-up in the future.
- There will be a great Sovereign in the future.
- Are you ready for the future?
- List the three post-exhilic prophets who wrote books in the Old Testament.
- Who did they prophesy to and when?
- What is the important event found in 2 Chronicles 36:22-23 and Ezra 1?
- When did Haggai give his four fiery sermons? Why did he give them?
- What words introduce each sermon?
- Who in particular was the fourth and final sermon addressed to? What was the intent of this message?
- When was the temple completed?
- Haggai, Zechariah, and Malachi.
- To the Jewish people after they had returned from the seventy year captivity in Babylon.
- The edict of Cyrus, King of Persia, that allowed the Jews in Babylon to return to their homeland.
- Haggai gave his sermon in 520 B.C., to stir up the people, to exhort them, and to encourage them to complete the rebuilding of the temple in Jerusalem.
- Each sermon was introduced by “The word of the Lord came to Haggai.”
- To Zerubbabel. It was meant to encourage Zerubbabel in his faithful and courageous service. See Haggai 2:20-21.
- The rebuilding of the Temple was completed in 516 BC, exactly 70 years after the first Temple (Solomon's Temple) was destroyed by the armies of Nebuchadnezzar in 586 BC.
- Read Haggai 1:21-22, “I will shake heaven and earth...” Commentators believe that this time is associated with the Lord’s second coming. Read about the signs our Lord gave in the Olivet Discourse (Luke 21:24-27). For a more graphic description of these times, read Daniel 2:44, Revelation 16, and Zechariah 12:4. Out of this great shake-up will come our Lord’s glorious reign. This was encouraging to Zerubbabel. Is it encouraging to you that the Lord and His Kingdom will one day be supreme?
- “Zerubbabel will be made a signet ring.” (Haggai 2:23) In ancient days signet rings were used as a seal of authority. Zerubbabel was being promised a place of authority in the future. Most commentators see this as prefiguring Christ, the coming King. This promise encouraged Zerubbabel, it should also encourage us.
- It seems that current events are moving quickly toward end times. Are you ready for the future? Do you know Jesus Christ as your personal Savior? Are you, as a Christian, living your life with eternity in view?
- “ I will shake heaven and earth, I will overthrow the throne of kingdoms... ” - Haggai 2:21-22
- “ ‘In that day,’ says the Lord, ‘I will take you, Zerubbable My servant, and will make you a signet ring; for I have chosen you.’ ” - Haggai 2:23