Talks for Growing Christians
God’s Instructions to Noah
Lesson Number 15
- God always judges the way of sin.
- God always provides a way of salvation.
- Do we practice full obedience?
- Describe the physical features of the ark.
- How difficult was it for Noah to round up all of the creatures to go into the ark?
- How many doors were in the ark?
- Contrast Genesis 1:31 with Genesis 6:13.
- What is the first mention of the word covenant in the Bible?
- The ark was 300 cubits (450’) long; 75’ wide and 45’ high. It had three decks and many rooms. It was more like a barge than a ship. Its purpose was to be stable in high flood waters. It was made of “gopher” wood (probably cedar or cypress), and covered with pitch inside and out. There was one window for air-flow, probably a protective 18” gap that ran the length of the ark right below the roof line. There was one door.
- Noah did not have to round them up. God brought them to him.
- “Then God saw everything that He had made, and indeed it was very good.” (Genesis 1:31) “And God said to Noah, ‘The end of all flesh has come before Me, for the earth is filled with violence through them, and behold, I will destroy them with the earth.’“ (Genesis 6:13). The change was from very good to very bad. From God’s pleasure to God’s judgment. Why? Because of man’s sin. God created man with a free will, and man chose to turn away from and sin against God. Now God must judge man’s sin. God must judge sin because He created a moral universe.
- “God said, ‘I will establish My covenant with you.’“ (Genesis 6:18)
- God is longsuffering, but sin will be judged someday. As God judged sin in Noah’s day, so He does today. It’s only a matter of time.
See Matthew 24:37.
- How is the ark a picture of God’s eternal way of salvation for man?
- Noah did according to all that God commanded him. Noah passed God’s difficult test of faith. Do you do all that God commands you?
- “God said to Noah, ‘Make an ark, and this is how...’“ Genesis 6:14-15
- “And God said, ‘I Myself am bringing floodwater on the earth to destroy from under heaven all flesh in which is the breath of life; everything that is on the earth shall die. But I will establish My covenant with you.’“ Genesis 6:17-18
- “Thus Noah did; according to all that God commanded him, so did he.” Genesis 6:22