Talks for Growing Christians
Joseph’s Administration During the Famine
Lesson Number 103
- The bottom line in the fullness of times will be Christ.
- Let’s put in a good day’s work.
- What particular actions showed that Joseph was a good administrator for Pharaoh?
- Why did the Jacob’s family continue to live in Egypt even after the famine ended?
- Relate doctrinal point #1, Section 1 to the story of Joseph.
- Relate doctrinal point #2, Section 2 to Jacob’s life.
- Both the seven years of plenty when Joseph stored up the grain and the seven years of famine when he distributed the grain demonstrated that he was a good administrator. He did not run a free give-away program, but no one bad mouthed the government; instead they were thankful. Without proper administration under those circumstances, there could have been riots, and anarchy and starvation, but Joseph administered supplies and provided for the people. He gave the people more than enough to survive, exacting a very low tax.
- God planned it so. They continued to live in Egypt where they would become a nation. See Genesis 47:27.
- The story of Joseph is a picture of Christ’s reign in the future. In Joseph’s time of exaltation in Egypt, all things were gathered together and summed up under Joseph. This is a small glimpse of just one aspect of the eventual reign of Christ.
- Jacob lived and died in faith, although he had a lot of lessons to learn. He did not want to be buried in Egypt because he believed the promise of God that He would bring his descendants back to the land He had promised to them. Joseph believed the promises of God to the end of his life (dying in faith).
- Joseph was a busy and successful man. He could have rested on his laurels, but he didn’t. See Colossians 3:23. Do you work with all your heart, as if working for the Lord?
- Are you like Jacob, who lived and died in faith? Are you believing all the promises of God?
- God is looking for worshippers who will worship Him in spirit and in truth. See John 4:23-24. Are you a worshipper or just a believer?
- “The people said to Joseph, ‘You have saved our lives; let us find favor in the sight of our lord....’“
- “Israel dwelt in the land of Egypt, in the country of Goshen; and they had possessions there and grew and multiplied exceedingly.” Genesis 47:27