Talks for Growing Christians
The Descendants of Jacob Who Went Down to Egypt
Lesson Number 101
- The believer’s blessings are all because of Christ.
- The believer’s blessings are not always obvious.
- (to the younger believers) Remember to take care of your aging parents.
- (to the older generation) God can work wonders in your family.
- How many of Jacob’s descendants went to Egypt?
- God exalted Joseph so every knee had to bow before him, and everyone had to come to him for bread. All life and blessing came from Joseph and because of Joseph. Who is our source of life and blessing?
- The believer’s blessings are not always obvious. How does this doctrinal point apply to the small group of Hebrews in Egypt?
- You may not feel blessed, but if you are a believer you are blessed. How?
- Jesus Christ. See John 6:51 and John 14:6.
- God had promised Abraham that He would make of him a great nation, and that his descendants would be like the stars of the heavens (Genesis 17:1-8 and 15:5-6). But here was a small group of seventy in Egypt, not yet a nation. The blessings were not always obvious, but in the land of Goshen they would be away from the idolatry and immorality of the Canaanites. Being ostracized by the Egyptians because they were shepherds would preserve them from intermarrying with the pagan Egyptians. Even though they would undergo slavery, they would grow to a nation of about two million people in about 400 years. And this nation and people would outlast all other nations. This nation and people would give birth to the Messiah.
- For starters, you have been saved from your sins and will live in heaven forever.
- List some of the parallels between the life of Joseph and the life of Christ, as seen in this portion of Scripture.
- Discuss one of the following, according to your age grouping.
a. For the younger generation: How are you caring for your ageing parents? If not them, then what kindnesses are you showing to those of the older generation?
b. For the older generation: Are you praying for a wayward member in your family? What else are you doing to encourage a younger person to know Christ and to serve Him?
- Focus on Christ, and look for the blessings that you have in Him.
- “All the persons of the house of Jacob who went to Egypt were seventy.” Genesis 46:27
“...you may dwell in the land of Goshen.” Genesis 46:34