Talks for Growing Christians
Jacob Learns that Joseph is Still Alive
Lesson Number 99
- The gospel is more than the forgiveness of sins.
- The gospel is more than wishful thinking.
- Don’t quarrel along the way.
- Let’s never get too set in our ways.
- What was Pharaoh’s reaction when he heard that Joseph’s brothers had come to Egypt.
- Did Pharaoh know about the brothers’ earlier mistreatment of Joseph?
- What is the gospel?
- Joseph provided for his brothers and gave them gifts. What is the spiritual application?
- What is the basis of the gospel of Jesus Christ?
- He was pleased, and in view of five more years of famine yet to come, he invited the whole extended family of Jacob to come to live in Egypt.
- No. Joseph concealed the matter from the public. The betrayal was between Joseph and his brothers alone.
- The gospel means good news. And it is more than just forgiveness of sins; it is grace abounding.
- This is what the Lord does for us. He extends forgiveness and provision, and he freely gives gifts. See Romans 8:31-32. And as Joseph prepared a new home for his family (the best of the land), it reminds us of the place that God is preparing for us. See John 14:2-3.
- The resurrection of Christ.
- Did Joseph publicize his brothers’ sins? Does God publicize our sins when we stand before the judgment seat of Christ? See 2 Corinthians 5:10.
- When the brothers responded to Joseph’s forgiveness and provision for them, there was reconciliation and fellowship. Recall the story of the prodigal son. What happens when we respond to the forgiveness of Christ?
- Joseph said to his brothers, “Don’t quarrel along the way.” (Genesis 45:24). What did this mean? What does this mean to Christians today?
- Avoid getting too set in your ways. Think of Jacob.
- “I will give you the best of the land...the best of all the land is yours.” Genesis 45:18, 20
- “See that you do not become troubled along the way.” Genesis 45:24