Talks for Growing Christians
Joseph Interprets Pharaoh’s Dreams and Becomes Prime Minister of Egypt
Lesson Number 90
- Joseph’s exaltation is a lesson for every Christian to remember.
- oseph’s exaltation is a picture of the glorification of Christ.
- Can you handle sudden reversals?
- Do unbelievers recognize the Spirit of God in us?
- In the story of Joseph, list some of the dreams given by God. Does God give dreams today?
- Was it wrong for Joseph to marry an Egyptian?
- What is the lesson for the believer in the “rags to riches” story of Joseph?
- How is Joseph’s exaltation a picture of the glorification of Christ?
- List some of the reversals in Joseph’s life while he was in Egypt. How was Joseph able to handle these reversals?
- The two dreams of Joseph (Genesis 37), the dreams of the butler and the baker (Genesis 40), and the two dreams of Pharaoh (Genesis 41). God’s primary means of communication today is through His completed word, although of course He is not limited in how he can communicate.
- No. Joseph married Asenath before the Mosaic Law with its restrictions on marriage.
- Our sovereign God can change the believer’s circumstances overnight if He so chooses. Our position, like Joseph’s, is to be humble before Him, and trust and obey Him as Joseph did. See Proverbs 21:1 and 1 Peter 5:6.
- Like Joseph, the Lord Jesus was the beloved Son of the Father, but He was betrayed by His own people. He suffered while being innocent, but did not open His mouth. Joseph was put over all the land of Egypt, and every knee bowed to him. See Philippians 2:9-11.
- Joseph had several sudden reversals - from being sold as a slave into Egypt, to being put in charge of Potiphar’s household, to being thrown into prison because of a false accusation, to being put in charge of the prisoners, to being elevated to prime minister over all of Egypt. Joseph was able to handle these reversals because he recognized that God was in control and had a plan for his life.
- . Do you really believe that God is in control and has a plan for your life? Do you really believe that God can move on your behalf and change your circumstances?
- Do unbelievers recognize the Spirit of God in you?
- When sudden reversals come in your life, handle them as Joseph did. Joseph did not give up hope in difficult circumstances, nor was he lifted up with pride when he was elevated. The secret of adjusting to all circumstances is found in Philippians 4:12-13.
- “God has shown what He is about to do...the thing is established by God, and God will shortly bring it to pass.” Genesis 41:25, 28, 32
- “Can we find such a one as this, a man in whom is the Spirit of God?” Genesis 41:38