Talks for Growing Christians
Joseph Is Sold As a Slave to Potiphar
Lesson Number 85
- God’s plan for the believer’s life will include unexpected blessings.
- God’s plan for the believer’s life may include unexpected detours.
- If you are a Christian, you should be a better employee.
- Use your blessings as a witness to unbelievers.
- As an Egyptian official, what would have been some of Potiphar’s perquisites and benefits?
- What made Potiphar take notice of Joseph?
- How did Potiphar respond to meeting or noticing Joseph?
- Who was blessed because of Joseph’s integrity?
- How was this like the Midas touch? Is this true for the believer today?
- What were some of Joseph’s detours to his dreams?
- He would have had a large home, many servants, and great responsibilities under Pharaoh.
- Joseph’s qualities stood out from others - he was diligent, he had considerable ability, and he had integrity.
- He trusted him by making him overseer of his whole household. This meant that Joseph was over all the others servants, that he was the purchasing agent for the whole estate, and that he made all the household administrative decisions.
- Both Joseph and Potiphar
- Everything that Midas touched turned to gold. Everything that Joseph touched was blessed. Yes, it is true for the believer today. As the believer is faithful to the Lord, he will be blessed, for God is with him. Others will also be blessed.
- Being betrayed by his brothers and thrown into the pit, being sold into Egypt as a slave, being thrown into prison because of a false accusation.
- Give examples of the Joseph touch, the Midas touch, in the believer’s life today. What blessings have you observed as a believer?
- Give examples of detours to dreams in the life of Paul. Recall examples of detours to your dreams.
- As a Christian, how can you be a better employee (or employer)?
- Think of ways that you can use your blessings as a witness to unbelievers. For example, how do you show the joy of the Lord in your life?
- “The Lord was with Joseph, and he was successful...his master saw that the Lord was with him and that the Lord made all he did to prosper in his hand. The Lord blessed the Egyptian’s house for Joseph’s sake.” Genesis 39:2, 3, 5