Talks for Growing Christians
Renewal in Jacob’s Life
Lesson Number 78
- Severing past entanglements is essential to renewal and blessing.
- Obeying past commands is essential to renewal and blessing.
- Remembering past blessings is essential to renewal and blessing.
- You are never too old for renewal.
- In Padan Aram or Haran, Jacob was partially obedient, with one foot in the world. When did he become obedient?
- What did God say and mean in Genesis 35:1?
- How many times is God’s name mentioned in Genesis 34 and in Genesis 35? Why?
- What did Jacob do to sever past entanglements?
- How does remembering past blessings help in renewal?
- When he returned to Bethel following the events recorded in Genesis Chapter 34.
- “God said to Jacob, ‘Arise, go up to Bethel and dwell there; and make an altar there to God...” As long as Jacob was in Haran, he was only
partially obedient to God, but when he would return to Bethel, he would be obeying God’s plan for his life.
- God’s name is not mentioned once in Genesis 34, but eleven times in Genesis 35. Why? Because obedience, renewal and blessing go together.
- He took the foreign gods and earrings and buried them. Everything had to go, then they washed and changed their garments, symbolic of a clean break.
- Thanking the Lord for past blessings makes the believer aware of God’s faithfulness and goodness in his life. It makes the believer appreciative and ready to worship.
- “Jacob said, ‘Let us arise and go up to Bethel, and I will make an altar to God who answered me in the day of my distress and has been with me in the way which I have gone.” What altars have you made?
- It took some tragic experiences to bring Jacob back to Bethel, the place of God’s choice for him. Have you experienced difficult times? Have they brought you to Bethel?
- Jacob was about one hundred and seven years old when he returned to Bethel, but he had forty more years there. Where are you in reference to Bethel?
- “God said to Jacob, ‘Arise, go up to Bethel and dwell there...” Genesis 35:1
- “Put away the foreign gods that are among you, purify yourselves, and change your garments.”
- “Let us arise and go up to Bethel; I will make an altar there to God who answered me in the day of my distress and has been with me in the way which I have gone.” Genesis 35:3
- “Jacob set up a pillar in the place where He talked with God, and he poured a drink offering on it, and he poured oil on it.” Genesis 35:14