Talks for Growing Christians
Jacob and His Family in Shechem
Lesson Number 76
- Concerning the wickedness in this world, the Bible tells it like it is.
- Concerning the wickedness in this world, let the believer beware.
- Parents, consider your children when deciding where to live.
- Teenagers, honor your parents for considering your well being.
- What happened to Dinah, the daughter of Leah and Jacob?
- In this chapter there is graphic evidence of the wickedness in this world. Why would the Lord include this account?
- What was Jacob’s fault in this account?
- What is the lesson for parents in this story?
- How should teenagers respond to their parents’ guidance and restrictions?
- She was raped by Shechem, the son of Hamor, of the Hivite tribe.
- The Bible does not sweep the wickedness of this world under the rug. It is evidence of the authenticity and inspiration of Scripture. The inspired record does not hide the truth, and sin is neither glamorized nor hidden.
- He failed to be aware of the dangers of Shechem and the negative effects it could have on his family.
- They should be aware of the dangers of the world on their family, and consider carefully the place where they should settle.
- They should be thankful that their parents care for their well-being. Parents know more about the wickedness of the world than teenagers do, or give their parents credit for knowing.
- Have you had people tell you about the wickedness in the Bible, as if they are saying that it sets a bad example? If so, how did you or how should you respond?
- The world may seem inviting and friendly, but we are admonished to beware of Satan’s tactics and the world’s values and attitudes, which are contrary to God’s standards. The world is out to undermine God. Give examples of this truth. How can you counteract this wickedness?
- If you are a parent, consider your children when deciding where to live. Also, take seriously your responsibility in guiding them into living for Christ.
If you are a young person, be thankful for the guidance of your parents and godly Christians.
- “Dinah went out to see the daughters of the land.” Genesis 34:1
- “The sons of Jacob were grieved and very angry..” Genesis 34:7