Talks for Growing Christians
Further Details of the Creation Account
Lesson Number 6
- God formed man on the sixth day of creation week.
- God rested on the seventh day of creation week.
- Remember that God made you from the dust of the ground.
- Is Genesis 2 a second and different account of creation from Genesis 1? If not, what is it?
- Describe the conditions on earth according to Genesis 2:4-5.
- What is the source of man’s immortal soul?
- What does theistic evolution have to say about the formation of man? Does it agree with the Genesis account of the creation of man?
- God rested on the seventh day. Does this mean that He was tired from doing His work of creation?
- No. Genesis 2 simply gives further details of the account in Genesis 1.
- First, Genesis 2 describes the condition of the earth before God brought forth the plants and before He created Adam and Eve. That is, there was no one to till the ground until man began to populate the earth, and there was no rain to water the ground.
- The very breath of God. See Genesis 2:7.
- Theistic evolution concerning man says that God used the process of evolution to bring about the body of man, and then implanted the spirit of man into this evolved body. The Bible says that God used the dust of the ground to make man, not the body of some animal, like an advanced ape. The animals were there, but God used dust to make man. The Bible does not say that a living being became man; it says that man became a living being.
- No. The idea of God resting is not the idea that God needed a rest. The point is that He rested because the work of creation was finished and perfect and nothing more needed to be done. God continued to control and sustain the universe which He created.
- When did God begin His work of redemption?
- Read Genesis 2:3. What does this say? What does it mean? What does it mean to you?
- Remember that God made you from the dust of the ground. How does (should) this both humble you and comfort you? Give personal examples.
- “The heavens and the earth, and all the host of them, were finished. And on the seventh day God ended His work, and He rested on the seventh day from all His work which He had done. Then God blessed the seventh day and sanctified it.” Genesis 2:1-3
- “And the Lord God formed man of the dust of the ground, and breathed into his nostrils the breath of life; and man became a living being.” Genesis 2:7