Talks for Growing Christians
God’s Confirmation of His Covenant with Abraham
Lesson Number 49
- Blessing follows obedience.
- Confirmation follows obedience.
- It’s not over until it’s over.
- Abraham passed God’s supreme test of his faith, to sacrifice his beloved son Isaac. But Isaac was spared when a ram was substituted. How, then, was this a test of faith if Isaac was not literally sacrificed?
- What does it mean to “possess the gates of their enemies?” (Genesis 22:17)
- Why is the record of the descendants of Nahor included in this account?
- Refer to Genesis 22:17-18. Why was Abraham promised such blessing?
- What does the Jukes-Edwards study illustrate?
- God looks on the heart, and He saw the reality of Abraham’s faith, even to the point of giving up his son to the Lord.
- The massive gates of ancient walled cities were the strong point of the defense of the cities, and the gates were where all the major decisions were made. So to “possess the gates” means to completely conquer your enemies.
- To show where Rebecca came from. She would become the wife of Isaac.
- Because he obeyed the voice of God.
- That blessing follows obedience. The Jukes family father was an unbeliever, a man of no principles, and his descendants made no significant contribution to society. On the other hand, Jonathan Edwards, a great force in the awakening of America in the 1700s, fathered descendants of renown and faithfulness.
- Blessing followed obedience in the account of Abraham and in the account of Jonathan Edwards. Obedience is the key to blessing from God. This is a divine principle. Do you want blessing in your life? Have you received blessing by being obedient?
- Confirmation follows obedience. God confirmed the covenant that He made with Abraham several times. The Christian life is a step by step walk of faith. How can you be sure of your steps?
- Abraham had to keep walking by faith with tests along the way. His life of faith was not over until it was over. Are you walking by faith, passing the tests along the way?
- “...blessing I will bless you...because you have obeyed My voice.” Genesis 22:17-18