Talks for Growing Christians
God Asks Abraham to Offer Up His Son Isaac
Lesson Number 47
- The Bible teaches by the law of first mention.
a. the first mention of the word “test” in the Bible (Genesis 22:1)
b. the first mention of the word “love” in the Bible (Genesis 22:2)
c. The first mention of the word “worship” in the Bible (Genesis 22:5)
d. The first mention of the word “obey” in the Bible (Genesis 22:18)
- Parents, are you willing to give up your children to the Lord?
- Why did God ask Abraham to sacrifice his son Isaac?
- How does the Bible teach by the law of first mention?
- Explain the idea of first mention in each of the following words.
- God was proving that Abraham’s faith was a great faith. Also, importantly, this event is an outstanding spiritual picture of the great sacrifice of the Lamb (the Lord Jesus) at Calvary.
- The law of first mention states that wherever key biblical words are mentioned in the Bible, there you will find the essential meaning and depth of that word as God wants us to understand it as used throughout Scripture.
- a. The idea of “test” (or tempt) is not a temptation to do evil, but rather a test of faith. The tests of life are not easy to understand and God expects believers to have faith in God in the darkness.
b. “Love” is part of the spiritual picture that God paints for us to convey the love that He had for His own Son as they walked together to Calvary. It is a great love.
c. “Worship” involves thanksgiving and praise, but also sacrifice and obedience.
d. “Obedience” to God means obeying Him in the hard commands as well as the easy commands.
- God tested Abraham by asking him to give up his prize possession. Has God ever tested your faith in the area of your prize possessions? Did you pass or fail the test?
- Refer to 1 Peter 1:7 and James 1:2-4. How do these verses help you understand more about how and why God tests our faith?
- Review the portions of this lesson that have to do with worship. Does your worship include thanksgiving and praise? Does your worship include sacrifice and obedience?
- As a parent, are you willing to give up your children to the Lord?
- “God tested Abraham. Abraham rose early in the morning (to obey God).” Genesis 22:1-3
- “Abraham said, ‘We will go yonder and worship, and we will come back to you.’“ Genesis 22:5
- “Abraham said, ‘My son, God will provide for Himself the lamb for a burnt offering.’“ Genesis 22:8