Talks for Growing Christians
Lot Moves Toward Sodom; The Lord Confirms of His Promises to Abraham
Lesson Number 29
- The spiritual believer makes choices on the basis of faith.
- The carnal believer makes choices on the basis of sight.
- Don’t travel the road to failure.
- What did Lot see when he lifted up his eyes? What did he do?
- When did the Lord reconfirm His covenant with Abraham as to the land and his descendants?
- Why did Abraham move his tent?
- Why was Abraham able to be so generous in letting Lot chose first?
- How does the carnal believer make his choices?
- Lot saw the well-watered plains of Jordan, and chose for himself.
- After Lot made his choice of the land for himself. (Genesis 13:14-17)
- In Genesis 13:18 we read that Abraham moved his tent to higher ground in Hebron, which meant a closer fellowship with the Lord, and he continued to walk with the Lord.
- Because he was a man of faith and he believed the promises of God. God had promised the whole land to Abraham’s descendants, and he believed God. He was walking by faith in the promises of God.
- On the basis of sight. Lot selfishly and greedily chose the best looking land, but he failed to consider what the move toward wicked Sodom would mean to his family.
- Abraham walked by faith, believing the promises of God. Lot made his choices on the basis of sight. How do you make your choices? Consider some definite promises of God for you as a believer. How do you respond to these promises?
- Consider Lot’s increasing desensitization and the effect it had on him and his family. In what ways have you become desensitized? Can you trace the increasing desensitization toward sin and increased tolerance of it in your lifetime?
- Step by step Lot traveled the road to failure. Trace his steps, beginning with his choice of the “good” land. Trace your steps, beginning with some materialistic choices of the “good” life. Don’t travel Lot’s road to failure.
- “Lot lifted his eyes and saw the well watered plain of Jordan...then he chose it for himself.”
- “The Lord said to Abram, ‘Lift your eyes and see all the land which I give to you. Arise, walk in the land.’“ Genesis 13:14-17