Talks for Growing Christians
Paul’s Conclusion and His Benediction
Lesson Number 15
- The cross means death to the flesh.
- The cross means death to the world.
- What are we boasting about?
- Do we bear the brand marks of Jesus?
- What is contained in the conclusion of Paul’s letter to the Galatians?
- What were the Judaizers wrongly teaching?
- What was the big issue discussed in the first church council in Jerusalem?
- What is necessary for salvation?
- What is meant by sanctification?
- How does sanctification come about?
- List the four faults of the Judaizers that Paul pointed out to the Galatian believers.
- Both a summary of the letter and a final statement refuting the false teaching of the Judaizers.
- That circumcision and keeping the law were necessary for salvation.
- This Galatian heresy, that the Judaizers were wrongly teaching that circumcision and keeping the law were necessary for salvation.
- Justification is by faith in Christ alone.
- It is the process of becoming more holy in the Christian life.
- By walking in the Spirit and not after the flesh.
- a. they were seeking the favor of men and not God;
b. they were demanding circumcision because they were afraid of persecution;
c. they did not practice what they preached; and
d. they weren’t really interested in the Galatians at all, but rather in boasting about their number of circumcised converts.
- “But God forbid that I should boast except in the cross of our Lord Jesus Christ, by whom the world has been crucified to me, and I to the world.” (Galatians 6:14). What does Paul mean that he has been crucified to the world? The world is that evil Satanic system which is designed to appeal to our fallen natures. Since we are vulnerable to the appeal to the flesh, we must practice our position in Christ. What is our position in Christ? Because Christ died on the cross as our substitute, we died with Him, and we’re raised with Him. That’s the way God sees us – He sees us in Christ. The more we practice that position, the less the world will appeal to us. Are your practicing your position before God in Christ?
- God forbid…the world has been crucified to me, and I to the world.” (Galatians 6:14). What does it mean that the world has been crucified to me? This present evil Satanic world system is on its way out. See 1 John 2:17. When the Lord Jesus Christ died on the cross, He not only died for our sins, but for the whole problem of sin and all of its effects. There’s coming a day when there will be no more sin and no more world system. Do you recognize this truth? How does it impact your life?
- The apostle Paul said the did not want to boast about anything other than the cross of Christ, and all that it meant in his life. If you are boasting about anything other than what Christ has done for you, try examining your priorities. What are you boasting about? List your boastings.
- “I bear in my body the marks of the Lord Jesus.” (Galatians 6:17) Read about the apostle Paul’s experiences in 2 Corinthians 11:23-25. His body was literally scarred because of physical persecution.
There are Christians today who literally carry the brand marks of Jesus because of persecution. Learn more about those who are being persecuted today – they are found all over the world. Have you ever been persecuted for standing for your faith? Do you bear the brand marks of Jesus?
- “God forbid that I should boast except in the cross of our Lord Jesus Christ, by whom the world has been crucified to me, and I to the world.” (Galatians 6:14)
- “I bear in my body the marks of the Lord Jesus.” (Galatians 6:17)