Talks for Growing Christians
God’s Gracious Renewal of the Mosaic Covenant
Lesson Number 37
- The Mosaic Covenant was renewed with special promises.
- The Mosaic Covenant was renewed with stern reminders.
- Let your life radiate Christ!
- Why did Moses cut two new tablets of stone?
- How is God’s grace seen in this chapter?
- What miracles had the Lord already performed for His people?
- Why are these laws repeated here?
- Explain the promise in Exodus 34:24.
- Why did Moses wear a veil when he spoke with the people?
- Because he had broken the original tablets which the Lord had given him with the Ten Commandments.
- God answered Moses’ prayer by forgiving the people, renewing His covenant with them, and promising to continue in the midst of His special people.
- The plagues in Egypt, the parting of the Red Sea, the manna, the pillar of cloud and fire leading them, and many more to come!
- God was reminding the people of the importance of these laws as the covenant was renewed.
- When the males left their fields to go to Jerusalem, God promised that He would protect their homes and land from looting and stealing.
- Moses’ face literally shone after he had been in close fellowship with the Lord. This frightened the people, so he covered his face with a veil.
- Exodus 34:7 and Ezekiel 18:20 both speak about the consequences of sin on generations to come. Exodus addresses the effects of sin, while Ezekiel involves the guilt and penalty of sin. Discuss the consequences for sin that can ripple down for generations. Has this happened in your own family?
- Can you imagine seeing Moses’ shining face whenever he came out from speaking with the Lord? The Apostle Paul draws a parallel to our lives in 2 Corinthians 3:18. Is your life radiating Christ?
- The Lord promised that He would drive out all of the enemies before Israel, if Israel would follow Him. Do you have enemies in your life that you need the Lord to drive out? He will if you’re willing to follow Him.
- “And the LORD said to Moses, ‘Cut two tablets of stone like the first ones, and I will write on these tablets the words that were on the first tablets which you broke.’” Exodus 34:1
- “Take heed to yourself, lest you make a covenant with the inhabitants of the land where you are going, lest it be a snare in your midst.” Exodus 34:12
- “Moses did not know that the skin of his face shone while he talked with Him.” Exodus 34:29