Talks for Growing Christians
The Construction of the Tabernacle; The Sign of the Covenant
Lesson Number 34
- The sign of the Spirit’s filling was special skill.
- The sign of the Mosaic Covenant was the Sabbath.
- Don’t make Sunday the new Sabbath.
- Who were Bezalel and Aholiab?
- What was unique about the way the Ten Commandments were written?
- What does it mean to be filled with the Holy Spirit?
- How are spiritual gifts different from natural talents?
- What was the sign of the Noahic Covenant? The Abrahamic Covenant? The Mosaic Covenant?
- What was the penalty for Israelites breaking the Sabbath?
- They were skilled craftsmen appointed by God to oversee the construction of the Tabernacle.
- They were written on tablets of stone by the finger of God. The rest of the Law Moses wrote down.
- To be under the control of the Spirit
- Everyone is born with natural talents which can be developed into skills and dedicated to the Lord. You are given spiritual gifts when you become a believer. These too must be developed and put under the Lord’s control.
- The signs of the covenants:
1) Noahic Covenant – rainbow
2) Abrahamic Covenant – circumcision
3) Mosaic Covenant – Sabbath
- Discuss the filling of the Spirit as it related to Exodus 31. What do many modern churches say the filling of the Spirit must look like? How can you demonstrate that you have been filled with the Spirit?
- Many Christians with good intentions take the Sabbath laws of the Old Testament and apply them to Sunday today. Discuss why this is bad hermeneutics. Sunday is a special day, because it celebrates our Lord’s resurrection. But we must not become legalistic in our regulation of Sunday. Because Sunday is the Lord’s day – not the Sabbath.
- Whatever the Lord directs you to do in His Word, He enables you to do it in obedience to Him. He will not ask you to accomplish a task He will not equip you for!
- “And I have filled [Bezalel] with the Spirit of God, in wisdom, in understanding, in knowledge, and in all manner of workmanship.” Exodus 31:3
- “Speak also to the children of Israel, saying: ‘Surely My Sabbaths you shall keep, for it is a sign between Me and you throughout your generations.’” Exodus 31:13
- “And when He had made an end of speaking with him on Mount Sinai, He gave Moses two tablets of the Testimony, tablets of stone, written with the finger of God.” Exodus 31:18