Talks for Growing Christians
Additional Furnishings for the Tabernacle
Lesson Number 33
- The Incense Altar emphasizes continual praise in the worship of the Lord.
- The Atonement Money emphasizes continual support for the work of the Lord.
- The Bronze Laver emphasizes continual cleansing by the Word of the Lord.
- Don’t get involved with strange oil or strange incense.
- Where was the Altar of Incense located? What was offered on this Altar?
- What does the Altar of Incense picture about Christ?
- How was the work of the Lord supported in Old Testament times?
- Why was every Jewish male 20 years or older required to give a ransom for himself to the Lord?
- Where was the Bronze Laver located and how was it used in the work of the Tabernacle?
- The Altar of Incense was positioned inside the first room of the Tabernacle. Only incense was offered on this Altar.
- He is the basis of our acceptable worship of God.
- By the tithes, offerings, and atonement money described in Exodus 30.
- Because he had been redeemed out of Egypt, and thus belonged to the Lord.
- The Laver was positioned outside in the Tabernacle courtyard, between the Bronze Altar and the Tabernacle itself. Before they entered the Tabernacle each time the priests had to wash their hands and feet with the water of the Laver.
- The Altar of Incense represents Christ as the basis of our acceptable worship of the Lord. Repeatedly in the Bible the prayers and worship of believers is compared to incense, a sweet smelling aroma to the Lord. How can you ensure that your worship is Christ-centered and therefore pleasing to the Lord?
- Without the continual cleansing at the Laver, the priests could not enter the Tabernacle and could not offer incense on the Golden Altar in the Holy Place. Discuss this spiritual picture of the continual process of sanctification for us as believers. See 1 John 1:9 and Ephesians 5:26.
- Do you continually support the work of the Lord? This is an important responsibility for every believer. Commit yourself to giving regularly, proportionately, and cheerfully.
- “You also, as living stones, are being built up a spiritual house, a holy priesthood, to offer up spiritual sacrifices acceptable to God through Jesus Christ.” 1 Peter 2:5
- “When they go into the tabernacle of meeting, or when they come near the altar to minister, to burn an offering made by fire to the LORD, they shall wash with water, lest they die.” Exodus 30:20
- “And you shall anoint Aaron and his sons, and consecrate them, that they may minister to Me as priests.” Exodus 30:30