Talks for Growing Christians
The Call of Moses
Lesson Number 3
- God is aware of the sufferings of His people.
- God is active in the salvation of His people.
- Be a burning bush for God.
- How long had Moses been in training to lead God’s people out of Egypt?
- Where is Mount Horeb?
- Why did Moses need to remove his sandals when he stood before the burning bush?
- How long had the Israelites been in Egypt? How long had they been enslaved?
- Give two reasons God had left His people in Egypt for so long.
- In verses 8 and 17, God told Moses His plan for Israel, what was it?
- 80 years – 40 years in Egypt and 40 years in Midian
- Mount Horeb is another name for Mount Sinai. The exact location of Mount Sinai is debated.
- Because God’s presence meant that place was holy ground. Taking off your sandals in that culture was a sign of honor for the higher authority.
- The Israelites had been in Egypt for more than 400 years and they had been enslaved for over 275 years.
- 1) God was showing patience to the pagan peoples in the land of Canaan.
2) God was forming and forging His people into a nation.
- God would deliver His people out of Egypt and bring them to the good and productive land of Canaan.
- When Moses was before God’s presence in the burning bush, he took off his sandals as a sign of honor. When you come into God’s presence, how can you be certain you are showing proper honor and reverence?
- Review and discuss applications for these spiritual lessons from the burning bush.
- Do people pause to see what makes us unique?
- Are we on fire for the Lord?
-Can God speak through our lives?
- When God spoke to Moses from the midst of the burning bush, He called Himself, “I AM.” The name for God, Yahweh, comes from this title, and is translated LORD in our English Bibles. This name of God emphasizes His active existence as the Redeemer of His people and as the God who keeps His covenant with His people. This is the kind of God we serve!
- “Take your sandals off your feet, for the place where you stand is holy ground.” Exodus 3:5
- “I will bring you up out of the affliction of Egypt to the land of the Canaanites… to a land flowing with milk and honey.” Exodus 3:17
- “And God said to Moses, ‘I AM WHO I AM.’ And He said, ‘Thus you shall say to the children of Israel, “I AM has sent me to you.”’” Exodus 3:14