Talks for Growing Christians
God’s Directions for the Construction of the Tabernacle
Lesson Number 30
- The Tabernacle is a type of the sanctuary of heaven.
- The Tabernacle is a type of the Son of God.
- Start with the inside and work outward.
- The Tabernacle is actually smaller than you might imagine it, about 45 feet long and 15 feet wide and high. Give one reason for its size.
- Describe the rooms of the Tabernacle.
- Which furnishings were in which rooms of the Tabernacle?
- What is a “type”?
- How do even the colors of the Tabernacle point forward to Christ?
- The Tabernacle needed to be a portable structure, designed primarily for the wilderness travels of the Children of Israel.
- The Tabernacle was divided into two sections. The outer sanctuary, called the Holy Place, took up two-thirds of the Tabernacle. The inner sanctuary, called the Holy of Holies, took up the remainder.
- The Holy Place contained the Lampstand, the Table of Showbread, and the Altar of Incense. The Holy of Holies contained the Ark of the Covenant with the Mercy Seat.
- A type is an Old Testament person, place, event, or item which illustrates New Testament truth.
- 1) Blue – the heavenly color emphasizes that He was the eternal Son of God come from heaven
2) Purple – the color of royalty emphasizes the fact that He was the true king
3) Red – the color of blood emphasizes that He was the Redeemer
- Read Hebrews 8:1-5 and 9:22-24. Discuss how an understanding of the Old Testament and the Jewish sacrificial system, can bring to life your reading of the New Testament.
- The details of the Tabernacle and each instrument in it point forward to Jesus Christ. Discuss some of these types and the beautiful picture they give us of the Son of God.
- In describing the structure of the Tabernacle, the Lord started with the inside and worked outside. How can you apply this insideout principle to your decisions and family?
- “You shall make a veil woven of blue, purple, and scarlet thread, and fine woven linen.” Exodus 26:31
- “Then you shall bring the ark of the Testimony in there, behind the veil. The veil shall be a divider for you between the holy place and the Most Holy.” Exodus 26:33