Talks for Growing Christians
God’s Instructions for the Furnishings of the Tabernacle
Lesson Number 29
- The Ark of the Covenant portrays Christ as the only Mediator.
- The Table of Bread portrays Christ as the Bread of Life.
- The Golden Lampstand portrays Christ as the Light of the World.
- Let’s follow the divine pattern.
- What did God communicate to Moses during his 40 days and 40 nights on Mount Sinai?
- What pattern is set here for giving to the Lord’s work?
- What was inside the Ark of the Covenant?
- What was on top of the Ark of the Covenant? Describe the significance of the name of this piece.
- How did the Table of Showbread function in the Tabernacle?
- Were there any windows in the Tabernacle?
- the details of the design and construction of the tabernacle and its furnishings
- Giving should be voluntary and without manipulation (verse 2).
- The two stone tablets containing the Ten Commandments, a jar of manna, and Aaron’s rod that budded
- The Mercy Seat sat atop the Ark. Also referred to as the “place of atonement,” the name of this piece comes from the Hebrew word meaning “to cover.” Here the Israelites’ sins were covered before God.
- Twelve loaves of bread, one for each tribe of Israel, were placed on this golden Table, in God’s presence. This bread was also food for the priests.
- No, all the light came from lamps on the Golden Lampstand.
- Discuss the Ark of the Covenant and the Mercy Seat. Every instrument in the Tabernacle points towards God’s ultimate sacrifice, His Son. The Ark of the Covenant portrays Christ as the true Mediator.
- The twelve loaves on the Table of Showbread carry the idea of representation and nourishment. How does this point us to the Lord Jesus as the true Bread from heaven? See 1 Peter 2:5 and John 6:35. It is easy to see how the Lampstand in the Tabernacle points to Christ as the Light of the World. Discuss this and refer to John 8:12.
- For this lesson on the Tabernacle and its furnishings, it would be very helpful to find a book on the Tabernacle or reference a website, so you can clearly pictures these items.
- “And let them make Me a sanctuary, that I may dwell among them.” Exodus 25:8
- “According to all that I show you, that is, the pattern of the tabernacle and the pattern of all its furnishings, just so you shall make it.” Exodus 25:9
- “You shall put the mercy seat on top of the ark… and there I will meet with you.” Exodus 25:21-22