Talks for Growing Christians
The Ten Commandments
Lesson Number 24
- The Ten Commandments give us God’s moral standards.
- The Ten Commandments show us our duties to God and man.
- Let’s not take away from the pure worship of God.
- Where were the Children of Israel when the Ten Commandments were given?
- How did the Ten Commandments come to the people?
- Were the Ten Commandments given as a way of salvation?
- What was the primary purpose of the Law?
- Which commandment is not repeated in the New Testament? Why is this commandment not part of the Law of Christ?
- Should the sixth commandment be used as an argument against capital punishment?
- They were camped around the base of Mt. Sinai.
- The Lord came down upon the mountain in the midst of thunder, lightning, smoke, and the sound of a loud trumpet. Amidst these awesome conditions, the voice of God began speaking to the people.
- No. No one can perfectly keep these laws.
- To show us God’s moral standards
- The only commandment not repeated in the New Testament is the commandment regarding the Sabbath, because it is not a moral commandment.
- No. The best translation of this commandment is “Thou shalt not murder,” rather than “kill.” Capital punishment has its biblical basis in the Noahic covenant.
- If the Law was not given as a way of salvation or a rule for Christian life, why was it given? Galatians 3:19 teaches that the Law was given to show our transgressions of God’s moral standards. Discuss where this realization should lead us. Refer to Romans 6:14, 8:4 and Galatians 3:24.
- Many people consider themselves “good people,” because they’ve “kept the Ten Commandments.” But none of us can honestly say we have keep each of these commandments! Discuss the tenth commandment, which applies to the thought-life. Are you sinning in your mind, even if you do not commit the sinful act?
- You don’t need elaborate man-made buildings or man-made rituals to worship the Lord. John 4:24 says God is seeking those who will worship Him in spirit and in truth. How are you worshiping the Lord?
- “I am the LORD your God, who brought you out of the land of Egypt, out of the house of bondage. You shall have no other gods before Me.” Exodus 20:2-3
- “And Moses said to the people, ‘Do not fear; for God has come to test you, and that His fear may be before you, so that you may not sin.’” Exodus 20:20