Talks for Growing Christians
Jethro Counsels Moses
Lesson Number 22
- God provides His people with proof to remove doubt.
- God provides His people with help to avoid burnout.
- Share the good news of what God is doing with your relatives.
- What is “the mountain of God”?
- Who was Jethro? Whom did he serve as a priest?
- Why was Jethro afraid his son-in-law would burn out?
- What did Jethro suggest Moses do?
- Is it wrong to feel you are stretched to the limit and at risk of burning out?
- This is another name for Mount Sinai, also known as Mount Horeb.
- Jethro, a Midianite, was the father-in-law of Moses. He was a priest of the one true God.
- Because Moses was handling all the disputes among the people, great and small
- He should delegate some of his authority to good men who could help him govern the people.
- No, feeling this way does not mean you are refusing to depend on the Lord. It may mean you are truly over-burdened, and need to learn to delegate some of your responsibilities to others
- When Moses shared the miraculous events of the Lord in bringing the Children of Israel out of Egypt, this confirmed his father-in-law Jethro’s faith in the one true God. As a believer, what sort of doubts have you had about the Christian faith? What has God used to remove this doubt?
- Jethro encouraged Moses to delegate some of his responsibility so he would not burnout. Is this a lesson you need to learn? Evaluate the demands on your time and ask whether these are responsibilities you truly need to handle or things that can be delegated to others.
- Want some advice on how to get along better with your relatives? Follow Moses’ example – share with them the good news about what God is doing in your life.
- “And Moses told his father-in-law all that the LORD had… Then Jethro rejoiced for all the good which the LORD had done for Israel.” Exodus 18:8-9
- “Both you and these people who are with you will surely wear yourselves out. For this thing is too much for you; you are not able to perform it by yourself.” Exodus 18:18
- “And Moses chose able men out of all Israel, and made them heads over the people.” Exodus 18:25