Talks for Growing Christians
Israel Trapped at the Red Sea
Lesson Number 16
- Sometimes the Lord tells His people to turn back.
- Sometimes the Lord tells His people to stand still.
- Sometimes the Lord tells His people to stop pleading.
- Be quiet when you feel trapped!
- It seemed to Pharaoh that the Children of Israel were wandering aimlessly in the wilderness. Was this the case?
- What else did the pillar of cloud and fire do?
- Why did God lead His people to turn back and get trapped between Migdol and the Red Sea?
- What was the Israelites’ response to the threat of the Egyptian army?
- What did the Lord have Moses tell the Children of Israel?
- Explain the doctrinal point, “Sometimes the Lord tells His people to stop pleading.”
- No, God was guiding them specifically with a pillar of cloud by day and a pillar of fire by night.
- It protected the Israelites by guarding them from the enemy (verses 19-20).
- God allowed the Israelites to appear trapped to Pharaoh and the Egyptians. God intended to show His power in the great miracle of the parting of the Red Sea. He would deliver His people and defeat the enemy at the same time.
- They were afraid and cried out to the Lord. They also complained to Moses that he had brought them out to the wilderness to die.
- “Stand still and see the salvation of the Lord.”
- There is a place for pleading our case to the Lord and crying out to Him, but when the Lord opens the doors or tells us what to do, He expects us to act.
- Do you have an example of a time when the Lord turned you back from where He had already led you? Did you understand why at the time? God was still leading and guiding you.
- There are times when we feel threatened like the Israelites and we fear, cry out, and complain. Perhaps we get anxious that the Lord has lost His power, or doesn’t care about us. We need to hear the same message Moses gave the Children of Israel, “Stand still and see the salvation of the Lord.” Sometimes the Lord wants us to wait and see how He will act on our behalf. Can you give an example of this from your life?
- When you feel trapped this week, remember the lesson to the Israelites. Be quiet. Hold your peace. Watch for the Lord’s salvation.
- “And the LORD hardened the heart of Pharaoh king of Egypt, and he pursued the children of Israel.” Exodus 14:8
- “And Moses said to the people, ‘Do not be afraid. Stand still, and see the salvation of the LORD.’” Exodus 14:13
- “The LORD will fight for you, and you shall hold your peace.” Exodus 14:14