Talks for Growing Christians
The Eighth and Ninth Plagues
Lesson Number 11
- Compromise in the area of family is a tactic of the enemy.
- Compromise in the area of possessions is a tactic of the enemy.
- Don’t forget to tell your grandchildren.
- Did the Lord take away Pharaoh’s free will by hardening his heart?
- What was the result of the eighth plague?
- What tactic did Pharaoh use to try to get the Israelites to compromise their request?
- What does Exodus 10:21 mean that the “darkness may even be felt”?
- How do we know this darkness was a miracle and not a natural phenomenon?
- No, the Lord simply confirmed what Pharaoh had already chosen to do in his own heart.
- Every remnant of vegetation which was left after the hailstorm was now totally consumed.
- He said the men were allowed to go, if they left their wives and families behind. Later he said everyone could go if they would leave their livestock behind.
- This was either incredible darkness, or perhaps darkness combined with a terrible sandstorm.
- Because the Children of Israel had light in their dwellings (verse 23).
- Review the tactics Pharaoh used to dissuade the Israelites from going to offer sacrifices. How do these illustrate the tactics our enemy, Satan, uses to keep us from being living sacrifices?
- The children of Israel were to testify to their children and grandchildren that God overpowered the Egyptians and their pagan gods, in order to deliver His people. Do you have a testimony about God overpowering the enemy and delivering His people? How can you pass this on to your children and your children’s children?
- The ninth plague of darkness was specifically targeted against the Egyptian’s sun-god Ra. Take a moment to praise our Creator God who made the sun and moon and controls them even today.
- “That you may tell in the hearing of your son and your son’s son the mighty things I have done in Egypt.” Exodus 10:2
- “There was thick darkness in all the land of Egypt three days… but all the children of Israel had light in their dwellings.” Exodus 10:22-23
- “Go, serve the LORD; only let your flocks and your herds be kept back.” Exodus 10:24