Talks for Growing Christians
The Nation of Israel is formed in Egypt
Lesson Number 1
- The nation of Israel was formed in Egypt
- The nation of Israel was forged in Egypt.
- Don’t think God is against you when the going gets tough!
- What is the theme of the book of Exodus?
- What does the title “Exodus” mean?
- Who was the author of Exodus? What other books did he write?
- When did the Children of Israel make their Exodus from Egypt?
- Who was the “new king” spoken of in Exodus 1:8?
- How many Israelites went to Egypt? How many left during the Exodus?
- Deliverance or Redemption
- “Exodus” means “exit,” “depart from,” or “way out.”
- Moses wrote Exodus along with the other books in the Pentateuch – the first five books of the Old Testament.
- There are two evangelical views. The Late Date view puts the Exodus at about 1290 B.C. The more conservative (and stronger) view, based on 1 Kings 6:1, dates the Exodus at 1446 B.C.
- A dynasty of Semitic pharaohs, known as the Hyksos, ruled Egypt from 1730-1570 B.C. In verse 13, the true Egyptian pharaohs regained control and increased the oppression of the Jews.
- About 70 Jews fled to Egypt during the famine of Joseph’s day. At least 2 million Jews left Egypt 430 years later under the guidance of Moses.
- Consider the oppression and slavery the Hebrews suffered in Egypt. How did God use this time to forge the nation of Israel? Are you going through a difficult time right now? Consider how God could be using this time to forge you.
- Were the Hebrew midwives justified in their disobedience of Pharaoh’s command to kill all male babies? Where do we draw the line and decide to disobey authority? Refer to Acts 5:29.
- We believe the Bible is true and accurate in its historical account, because it is God’s Word. But isn’t it neat to see His Word confirmed by history and archeology? Praise God that He was working in the dynasties of Egypt to work out His plan for His chosen people.
- “Now there arose a new king over Egypt, who did not know Joseph.” Exodus 1:8
- “So the Egyptians made the children of Israel serve with rigor.” Exodus 1:13
- “So Pharaoh commanded all his people, saying, ‘Every son who is born you shall cast into the river.’” Exodus 1:22