Talks for Growing Christians
Final Instructions about Prayer
Lesson Number 20
- Believers should pray at all times.
a. Pray for the needs of the saints
b. Pray for the proclamation of the gospel
- Are we content to only deliver the mail?
- Why does Paul refer to himself as an ambassador in chains?
- Is prayer an option for believers?
- What does it mean to pray at all times? See also 1 Thessalonians 5:17.
- What does it mean to pray with all prayer and supplication in the Spirit? See also 1 Thessalonians 5:18.
- How should we pray for the needs of the saints?
- He was literally chained to a guard while he wrote this letter from his own rented house (Acts 28:16, 30-31). He was under house arrest while he awaited his trial in Rome, but he did not let this situation hold him back. He considered himself an ambassador for the Lord in chains, witnessing to the guards, preaching to all who came to the house, mobilizing a team of fellow workers, and writing letters to encourage Christians in the faith.
- No. It is an exhortation, not an option. In view of the context here, it could be considered another piece of the spiritual armor.
- It means being in an attitude of prayer and ready to pray at all times; it means to be watchful, with perseverance.
- It means to be involved in more than just formal prayer. We are to be sensitive to the Holy Spirit’s guidance as to the content of our prayers in public and in private.
- We are to pray not just for physical needs, but for their spiritual needs. Remember, we are involved in spiritual warfare.
- Read Philippians 1:9-11, Ephesians 1:15-21, Ephesians 3:14-21, and Colossians 1:9-12. This is a great way to pray for your unsaved friends. Pray that someone (maybe yourself!) will have boldness to preach the gospel to them.
- Paul requests prayer for boldness to proclaim the gospel (6:19-20). Do you pray for boldness to proclaim the gospel?
- Ask yourself, “Am I content to only deliver the mail?” Tychicus was a mailman – a faithful mailman and he was content to be a mailman. Are you content to take a behind-the-scenes role? Every role is important in the sight of God.
- “Pray always with all prayer and supplication in the Spirit, being watchful to this end with all perseverance and supplication for all the saints.” Ephesians 6:18