Talks for Growing Christians
The Relationships and Responsibilities of Husbands and Wives
Lesson Number 17
- Believers should submit to one another.
a. Wives should respect their husbands
b. Husbands should love their wives
- Let’s follow the golden rule of marriage.
- Review. What does it mean to be Spirit-filled?
- When the Bible teaches believers to submit to an authority, does it mean that the one submitting is inferior or unequal?
- Explain what it means in Ephesians 5:22, “…as to the Lord.”
- Does “…as to the Lord” mean that the wife should obey her husband instead of the Lord?
- What should the relationship between the husband and the wife reflect?
- It is to be under the influence and control of the Holy Spirit, and to exhibit the three characteristics listed in the last lesson.
- No. Subordination does not mean inferiority. Remember, the Lord Jesus was subject to the Heavenly Father (1 Corinthians 11:3), but He was in no way inferior or unequal.
- It implies recognition of the authority structure set up for the home, as Christ is the head of the church. When the wife submits to the husband, she is doing it as to the Lord because He, not society, has ordained this authority structure.
- No. When there is a conflict, she should obey the Lord’s higher command.
- The love relationship between Christ and His bride, the Church.
- Submission to one another, in almost any realm of society today, is not a popular teaching. But it is what the Bible teaches. Discuss submission in various realms, including the home, the church and the workplace. How would you lovingly yet forcefully teach this? (Select one of the realms).
- Re-read Ephesians 5:25-27, and review the past, present and future aspects of the Lord’s love for the church. In light of this portion of Scripture, husbands, discuss your role and responsibility to your wife. Wives, discuss your role and responsibility to your husbands.
- Husbands, re-read the golden rule of marriage (Ephesians 5:28). Are you so loving your wife (Ephesians 5:33)? In light of 1 Peter 3:7, are your prayers being hindered?
- “Wives, submit to your own husbands, as to the Lord.” Ephesians 5:22
“Husbands, love your wives, just as Christ also loved the church and gave Himself for her.” Ephesians 5:25