Talks for Growing Christians
Believers Should be Filled with the Spirit
Lesson Number 16
- Believers should be filled with the Spirit.
a. The Spirit-filled believer sings spiritual songs
b. The Spirit-filled believer gives thanks for all things
c. The Spirit-filled believer submits to authority structures
- Are you a Spirit-filled Christian?
- What does it mean to be filled of the Spirit mean?
- What is the filling of the Spirit not?
- Where are we commanded to be filled with the Holy Spirit?
- Is every Christian indwelt by the Holy Spirit?
- List the characteristics of the Spirit-filled believer.
- It means to be under the influence and control of the Holy Spirit.
- It is not the baptism of the Spirit, which took place at Pentecost. It is not the indwelling of the Holy Spirit, which took place at the moment of conversion.
- We are commanded in Ephesians 5:18 to be filled with the Spirit, to be under the influence and control of the Holy Spirit. Note the comparison of being filled with wine in Ephesians 5:18.
- Yes. See Ephesians 1:13 and 1 Corinthians 6:19.
- The Spirit-filled believer sings spiritual songs, gives thanks for all things, and submits to authority structures.
- The Spirit-filled believer sings spiritual songs. Re-read Ephesians 5:19. See Colossians 3:16. Are you a singing Christian? Even in difficult circumstances? See Acts 16:22-25.
- The Spirit-filled believer gives thanks for all things. Is this characteristic of your life?
- The Spirit-filled believer submits to authority structures. Do you believe and act upon this doctrine? In all phases of your life?
- Are you a Christian? Have you accepted Jesus Christ as your personal Savior? If so, are you a Spirit-filled Christian? Do you meet the three characteristics listed in this lesson?
- “…be filled with the Spirit, speaking to one another in psalms and hymns and spiritual songs, singing and making melody in your heart to the Lord.” Ephesians 5:18-19
- “…give thanks always for all things to God the Father in the name of our Lord Jesus Christ.” Ephesians 5:20
- “…submit to one another in the fear of God.” Ephesians 5:21