Talks for Growing Christians
Examples of Putting Off the Old Man and Putting On the New Man
Lesson Number 14
- Believers should have a changed life-style
a. Believers should tell the truth and not lie.
b. Believers should be angry and not sin.
c. Believers should share and not steal.
d. Believers should speak helpful words and not hurtful words.
e. Believers should practice supernatural virtues and not natural vices.
- Is your life a Bible or a libel?
- List the five examples in this passage of Scripture that evidence the changed lifestyle of a believer.
- What is happening to standards of truth today?
- When is anger not a sin? What is the caution? How should you deal with anger?
- Is it right to take tools or office materials from the job, or time from your employer?
- How does one put away the natural vices?
- Believers should:
a. tell the truth and not lie
b. be angry and not sin
c. share and not steal
d. speak helpful words and not hurtful words
e. practice supernatural virtues and not natural vices.
- Standards are being lowered and truth is being redefined. Most people would say there is no absolute standard of truth.
- When we hear blasphemy and see blatant sin. But we must be careful that our righteous anger does not become sin, resulting in bitterness or revenge. Anger should be checked and controlled.
- No. Believers should have a higher standard.
- By taking definite action to put them away; it’s not automatic.
- Read John 2:13-16 concerning the money changers in the temple and Mark 3:1-6 concerning the hardness of hearts. Consider these passages in light of doctrinal point #2 – Believers should be angry and not sin. Recall how you have dealt with your anger in specific situations. First, was it righteous anger? Secondly, was it controlled? Thirdly, what were the results?
- Read Matthew 12:36. What is included in hurtful words? Are you concerned about grieving the Holy Spirit because of careless or hurtful words? Give examples of helpful words that have been directed toward you. Give examples of helpful words you have used as you speak to others.
- Is your life a Bible or a libel? Is your life lived to bring honor to the name of Christ? Do people see Christ living in you? Do you reflect the values, attitudes and commands of Scripture?
- “Do not grieve the Holy Spirit of God, by whom you were sealed for the day of redemption.” Ephesians 4:30