Talks for Growing Christians
Spiritual Blessings that Are Ours in Christ
Lesson Number 2
- Believers are blessed with all spiritual blessings.
a. Our spiritual blessing of election.
b. Our spiritual blessing of sonship.
- Do you really understand what it means to be accepted in the Beloved?
- All Scripture is the revealed word of God. Where in the New Testament do we find the ultimate revelation of the heart and mind of God?
- What is a doxology? Where is a doxology found in this portion of Scripture?
- What are the “heavenly realms” of Ephesians 1:3?
- List two blessings that are guaranteed to the believer by God.
- What does it mean to be elected by God for salvation?
- On what basis did God choose certain people to be saved?
- What is the responsibility of mankind toward God’s elective grace?
- Is the spiritual blessing of sonship because of what we have done? Is it because of an intrinsic goodness in us?
- In the Epistles of Ephesians and Colossians. In Colossians we have the Person and Work of Christ fully revealed; the doctrine of the supremacy and all-sufficiency of Christ is the theme of Colossians. In Ephesians, we have the full revelation of the believer’s position in Christ, saved, exalted, and enthroned with Him in the heavenlies.
- A doxology is a burst of praise. Ephesians 1:3 – believers are blessed with every spiritual blessing in the heavenly places in Christ.
- It refers not to heaven itself, but rather to the spiritual realm or sphere into which we are brought as a result of our salvation and position in Christ.
- Our spiritual blessings of election and of sonship.
- God, in His grace, chose us to forgive us from our sins, and to be holy and blameless in His sphere of love forever.
- On the basis of His sovereignty, in His grace.
- To accept the Lord Jesus Christ for your personal salvation.
- Not at all. It is because of God’s good pleasure and will, and to the praise and glory of His grace.
- Discuss and consider the doctrines: the full sovereignty of God and the full responsibility of mankind.
- Discuss and consider the spiritual blessing of sonship, including the First Century idea of adoption. How thankful are you for this spiritual blessing?
- Ponder what it means to be accepted in the Beloved (the Lord Jesus Christ Himself). Think what it means that all of our blessings come because God sees us as inseparably linked with His Son. How do you show your thankfulness for this incomparable blessing?
- “Blessed be the God and Father of our Lord Jesus Christ, who has blessed us with every spiritual blessing in the heavenly places in Christ.” Ephesians 1:3
- “He chose us in Him before the foundation of the world.” Ephesians 1:4
- “God predestined us to adoption as sons by Jesus Christ to Himself.” Ephesians 1:5