Talks for Growing Christians
Daniel’s Prophecy of the Seventy Weeks
Lesson Number 11
- The first 69 prophetic weeks of Daniel 9 are past.
- The final 70th prophetic week of Daniel 9 is future.
- Don’t confuse the covenant of Daniel 9 with the New Covenant.
- What was the context in which Daniel received this vision?
- What would be a better translation of the word “weeks” in this passage?
- List the six matters Daniel was told would be accomplished by the time this prophecy is completely fulfilled.
- Outline the four verses in this passage.
- When was the decree given to “to restore and build Jerusalem” (verse 25)?
- How long is 69 heptads? How does this fit into history?
- Who is he who makes and breaks the covenant of verse 27?
- Daniel knew Jeremiah’s prophecy that the Babylonian captivity would be for seventy years (Jeremiah 25). He realized this period was coming to an end soon and he was praying about the restoration of Judah and Jerusalem.
- The Hebrew word means a unit or set of seven. It could be translated “heptad” or just “sevens.”
- 1) Transgression would be finished – Israel would be spiritually restored
2) Sin would be judged
3) Atonement would be made for iniquity – accomplished in Christ’s death at Calvary
4) Everlasting righteousness would be brought in – in the coming earthly reign of our Lord
5) The vision and prophecy would be sealed – that is, fulfilled
6) The most holy place would be anointed – in the future millennial Temple
- Verse 24 gives the overview of the 70 week prophecy
Verse 25 gives details of the first 69 prophetic weeks
Verse 26 gives details of a period of time between the 69th and 70th weeks
Verse 27 gives details of the 70th prophetic week
- There were several decrees during the Persian rule that authorized the Jews to return to Jerusalem, but only one specifically gave permission to rebuild. That decree was given to Nehemiah by Artaxerxes in 444 B.C. (Nehemiah 2:1-8).
- If the time units are seven years each, then 69 heptads is 483 years. It can be calculated from 445 B.C. that 483 prophetic years would terminate on the very day of the Lord’s triumphal entry into Jerusalem.
- This is the prince of verse 26, the future Roman beast of Revelation 13 with the number 666. He is the little horn of Daniel 7 and he will come out of the territory of the old Roman Empire, which will then be the Revived Roman Empire.
- Discuss the time gap between the 69th and 70th heptads (verse 26). What was prophesied to occur during this time? What event will mark the beginning of the final 7 prophetic years? Briefly discuss this upcoming time period.
- This Lord has made a New Covenant with us. It will not be broken as the covenant in Daniel 9. Our New Covenant is certain!
- “Seventy weeks are determined for your people and for your holy city, To finish the transgression, To make an end of sins, To make reconciliation for iniquity, To bring in everlasting righteousness, To seal up vision and prophecy, And to anoint the Most Holy. Know therefore and understand, That from the going forth of the command To restore and build Jerusalem Until Messiah the Prince, There shall be seven weeks and sixty-two weeks; The street shall be built again, and the wall, even in troublesome times. And after the sixty-two weeks Messiah shall be cut off, but not for Himself; and the people of the prince who is to come shall destroy the city and the sanctuary. The end of it shall be with a flood, and till the end of the war desolations are determined. Then he shall confirm a covenant with many for one week; but in the middle of the week He shall bring an end to sacrifice and offering. And on the wing of abominations shall be one who makes desolate, even until the consummation, which is determined, is poured out on the desolate.” Daniel 9:24-27