Talks for Growing Christians
Daniel Prepares to Receive the Vision of the Seventy Weeks
Lesson Number 10
- Daniel believed in a literal interpretation of Scripture.
- Daniel prayed on the authoritative foundation of Scripture.
- Daniel received an insightful understanding of Scripture.
- Don’t be surprised if praying tires you out!
- Why is Daniel’s vision in chapter 9 called “the backbone of Bible prophecy”?
- When did Daniel receive this vision?
- How did Daniel interpret the 70 year captivity prophesied by Jeremiah?
- Why did Gabriel appear to Daniel during the time of the evening offering?
- Why doesn’t the Lord send the angel Gabriel to answer our prayers today?
- It gives a prophetic schedule or timetable of events that would take place in reference to the nation of Israel all the way from soon after Daniel’s time to the Second Coming of Christ.
- In the first year of Darius the Mede, 538 B.C., soon after the Babylonian Empire fell to the Medes and the Persians.
- As a literal 70 years, because that’s what the words mean.
- All the morning and evening sacrifices had come to an end after the Babylonians destroyed the Temple, but the pious Jews still prayed at these times. Even before Daniel finished his prayer, the answer was on the way.
- He doesn’t have to! As believers as have the Holy Spirit dwelling within us to give insight and understanding of Scripture.
- Daniel believed in a literal interpretation of Scripture. Do you interpret Scripture in this way? Think of some examples where people do not interpret passages literally, because it does not fit their preconceived notions.
- Review Daniel’s prayer in verses 3-15. Discuss how it can be a model for us in three ways. Our prayers should reflect that:
1) God is holy and must judge sin.
2) The bottom line is God’s glory and not our glory.
3) God is gracious and forgives the repentant sinner.
- Daniel was worn out from his fervent praying and fasting. Do you labor in prayer?
- “I, Daniel, understood by the books the number of the years specified by the word of the LORD through Jeremiah the prophet, that He would accomplish seventy years in the desolations of Jerusalem.” Daniel 9:2
- “For the LORD our God is righteous in all the works which He does, though we have not obeyed His voice.” Daniel 9:14
- “While I was speaking in prayer, the man Gabriel…reached me about the time of the evening offering.” Daniel 9:21