Talks for Growing Christians
Predictions of Future Kings
Lesson Number 14
- Daniel’s final vision revealed the future godless king of the Tribulation Period.
- Daniel’s final vision revealed the future King of the North of the Tribulation Period.
- Don’t let distractions keep you from studying Bible prophecy!
- What do the Jewish people celebrate each year with the feast of Hanukkah?
- What does verse 35 teach us about God’s dealings with the Jewish people?
- Review the varying interpretations regarding the character(s) in this passage of Daniel 11.
- Describe the attitude and actions of this willful king in verses 36-39.
- What historic character typified the King of the North?
- They celebrate the cleansing of the Temple which took place in 165 B.C., during the Maccabean revolt against Antiochus Epiphanes.
- God is refining, purging, and purifying the Jewish people until the end time. Their persecutions and struggles over the years have not happened by chance. God has allowed these things to take place as part of His sovereign will.
- a. Some say verses 36-39 are still talking about Antiochus Epiphanes of intertestamental history.
b. Some say verses 36-45 are about the one future leader, the Antichrist, who is the first beast of Revelation 13, the head of the Revived Roman Empire, and whose number is 666.
c. Others say there are two future end time leaders in these verses. The willful king of verses 36-39 is the False Messiah of the Jews, the False Prophet; this is the beast in the second half of Revelation 13. The second godless leader in verses 40-45 is the future King of the North.
- He is an apostate Jew posing as the False Messiah. He magnifies himself and speaks blasphemous words. He shows no regard for the one true God of his Jewish heritage, instead he deifies himself. He has no regard for the true Messiah, the desire of women.
- The wicked Seleucid king, Antiochus Epiphanes, described in Daniel 8
- Discuss how Daniel 11:40-45 may play out in the future. Remember, the details will become clear during the Tribulation Period.
- Discuss the distractions that keep you from studying the Bible. Which of these can be planned around? Which must simply be endured? What is your best strategy for being consistent in your Bible Study, despite distractions?
- “And some of those of understanding shall fall, to refine them, purify them, and make them white, until the time of the end; because it is still for the appointed time.” Daniel 11:35
- “Then the king shall do according to his own will: he shall exalt and magnify himself above every god, shall speak blasphemies against the God of gods, and shall prosper till the wrath has been accomplished.” Daniel 11:36