Talks for Growing Christians
The First of Three Visions of Amos
Lesson Number 9
- God answers the prayers of His people according to His sovereignty.
- God measures the uprightness of His people according to His scriptures.
- How straight is your wall in God’s eyes?
- Where did Amos live?
- Where did Amos preach and prophesy?
- What did Amos see in his first vision?
- When the harvest was reaped, where did the reapings go?
- What did Amos see in the second vision?
- In Tekoa, not far from Bethlehem in the Southern Kingdom of Judah.
- In the Northern Kingdom of Israel.
- A devastating locust plague, which came at the time of the second harvest.
- The first reaping went to the king as a tribute or tax; the second reaping went to the people.
- He saw a consuming fire that ravaged the land and dried up the water sources.
- In the first vision of Amos, he saw that the land would be devastated and the people would have nothing. Many would die of starvation. In his second vision, the fire meant devastation and death. After each vision, Amos prayed on behalf of the nation and God withheld both the locust plague and the fire. Amos was a righteous man and God answered his prayers and withheld judgment. Read James 5:16. Do you pray for God’s mercy on behalf of others?
- The third vision of Amos concerned a plumb line. A plumb line is used by builders and masons to determine how straight a wall is. God measured His people Israel and they were not upright. God’s plumb line is His word, and He uses it for measuring spiritual and moral uprightness. How well do you measure up to God’s plumb line?
- How straight is your wall in God’s eyes? If God were to picture your life as a stone wall, what would it look like? Would it be strong and straight and true, or would it be crooked and broken down? Does every area of your life line up with scripture? The more we know scripture, the stronger our wall.
- “Thus the Lord God showed me…and so it was…” Amos 7:1-2, 4, 7
- “O Lord God, forgive, I pray!” Amos 7:2, 5