Talks for Growing Christians
Paul’s Ministry at Corinth
Lesson Number 30
- The work of the Lord involves adapting to various situations.
- The work of the Lord involves assisting various saints.
- You can be a Priscilla and Aquila couple.
- How long was Paul in Corinth?
- What epistles did Paul write from Corinth?
- How did Paul support himself in Athens?
- Who were Priscilla and Aquila?
- How did Paul conclude his second missionary journey?
- Who was Apollos?
- About a year and a half
- 1 and 2 Thessalonians
- He worked as a tentmaker until financial support was sent by other churches.
- They were fellow tentmakers, who had recently fled to Corinth from Rome.
- By returning to his commissioning church in Antioch of Syria. He spent some time there before heading out on his third missionary journey.
- Apollos was a powerful preacher who came to preach in the synagogue in Ephesus. He knew the truth about Jesus as the Messiah, but did not know further revelation beyond that.
- Crispus and Sosthenes were two unlikely believers. Yet because of Paul’s faithful preaching and the Holy Spirit’s work within them, they did believe! Do you know someone who you think will never believe the gospel? Don’t give up on them. How can you continue to pray and share with them?
- When Priscilla and Aquila realized that Apollos was not straight in his doctrine they took him aside and explained things more accurately. Discuss the excellent example of Priscilla, Aquila, and Apollos in this situation. Each person was wise and acted appropriately, causing great results from a potentially complicated situation.
- Priscilla and Aquila served the Lord together as a couple. They were blessed together for their availability and service to the Lord.
- “Then Crispus, the ruler of the synagogue, believed on the Lord with all his household. And many of the Corinthians, hearing, believed and were baptized.” Acts 18:8
- “Do not be afraid, but speak, and do not keep silent; for I am with you, and no one will attack you to hurt you; for I have many people in this city.” Acts 18:9-10
- “When Aquila and Priscilla heard him, they took [Apollos] aside and explained to him the way of God more accurately.” Acts 18:26