2 Timothy 3:16-17
Talks for Growing Christians
An Important Text on the Inspiration and Sufficiency of Scripture
2 Timothy 3:16-17
Lesson Number 15
- The Bible is 100% inspired by God.
- The Bible is 100% sufficient for man.
- Have you read the whole Bible yet?
- How are your grades in P.E. (prepared and equipped)?
- In these verses, what is Paul reminding Timothy?
- Define “inspired” and “inspiration.”
- Give an illustration of inspiration.
- List some verses that speak of the inspiration of the Bible.
- Explain, “The Bible is 100% sufficient,” using 2 Timothy 3:16-17.
- Of the importance of Scripture
- The word “inspired” literally means “God-breathed”. Inspiration may be defined as the process by which God superintended the writers and the writing of Scripture so that only what God intended was written down.
- There are three writing instrument – a pencil, a ball-point pen and a felt tip pen. If you receive a note written by any one of these instruments, you would be able to tell immediately with which instrument it was written. The writing would have all of the characteristics of that instrument, but the writer controlled the instrument and superintended the writing, even to the very words put on the paper. Let’s say the pencil represents Moses, the ball-point pen represents Isaiah, and the felt tip pen represents the apostle Paul. God picked up each instrument in His own time and He used a Moses, an Isaiah and a Paul to write Scripture. Each writer maintained his distinctive historical-cultural characteristics, but God superintended what was written down on the parchment.
- 2 Timothy 3:16-17; Matthew 4:4; Luke 4:4; and 2 Peter 1:21
- The Bible is sufficient for whatever the believer needs to be complete and thoroughly equipped for every good work. All the necessary doctrine is found in the Bible. When reproof is needed, the Bible will convict the sinner. The Bible not only brings conviction when read, but correction, telling us what to do to make things right. As for instruction in righteousness, the Bible educates and disciplines us.
- Are you 100% sure that the Bible is 100% inspired by God? Are you 100% sure that the Bible is 100% sufficient for man?
- Are you prepared for every good work? (Are you a clean vessel?) Are you equipped for every good work? (Do you have a thorough working knowledge of the word of God?)
- Have you read the whole Bible yet? If not, do it, starting now.
- “All Scripture is given by inspiration of God, and is profitable for doctrine, for reproof, for correction, for instruction in righteousness, that the man of God may be complete, thoroughly equipped for every good work.” 2 Timothy 3:16-17