2 Timothy 2:8-13
Talks for Growing Christians
Paul Encourages Timothy to be a Faithful Christian
2 Timothy 2:8-13
Lesson Number 8
- The presence of Christ should motivate the believer to be a faithful Christian.
- The power of the word should motivate the believer to be a faithful Christian.
- The position of the elect should motivate the believer to be a faithful Christian.
- The possibility of rewards should motivate the believer to be a faithful Christian.
- Are you willing to be chained for the sake of the gospel?
- What was happening to and in the church at the time this letter was written?
- What motivating factors did Paul list that would help keep Timothy moving forward in the ministry?
- What is the important aspect to remember in verse 8?
- Paul was imprisoned. Does that mean that the gospel can be imprisoned also?
- Did Paul slack off in preaching the gospel because of the fact that the saved are elect and chosen by God? (2 Timothy 2:10).
- List the two positive “ifs” and the two negative “ifs” in this portion of Scripture.
- Roman persecutions had begun, and some Christians were falling away from the faith.
- a. the presence of Christ (verse 8)
b. the power of the word (verse 9)
c. the position of the elect (verse 10)
d. the possibility of rewards (verses 11-13)
- That the Lord Jesus is our risen Savior. He is alive right now and is present with all believers.
- No. You cannot imprison the gospel of Jesus Christ. People have tried to chain it up through the years, but it cannot be done. People are constantly putting God’s grace on trial, but they have never been able to send it to prison. Messengers of the gospel have been imprisoned, as Paul was, but the gospel cannot be imprisoned.
- No. Paul was willing to endure all things that people might obtain the salvation that is in Christ Jesus. Paul was motivated by the fact that guilty sinners could be transformed by Christ and share in His eternal glory.
- If we died with Him, we shall also live with Him. If we endure, we shall also reign with Him. If we deny Him, He also will deny us. If we are faithless, He remains faithful.
- Paul encouraged Timothy to remain steadfast, faithful and dedicated. Has someone encouraged you like this? (How have you shown your appreciation for this encouragement?) Have you encouraged someone like this?
- Are you motivated by the presence of Christ? By the power of the word? By the position of the elect? By the possibility of rewards? Be specific in answering these questions.
- God has entrusted you with the gospel. How serious a calling is this to you? Are you willing to suffer hardships for the sake of Christ and the gospel? Are you willing to be chained for the sake of the gospel?
- “…the word of God is not chained.” 2 Timothy 2:9
- “…I endure all things for the sake of the elect, that they also may obtain the salvation which is in Christ Jesus with eternal glory.” 2 Timothy 2:10
- “If we died with Him, we shall also live with Him. If we endure, we shall also reign with Him.” 2 Timothy 2:11-12