2 Timothy 2:1-2
Talks for Growing Christians
An Exhortation to be Strong in the Lord
2 Timothy 2:1-2
Lesson Number 5
- Like a teacher, the faithful Christian communicates sound doctrine to faithful students.
- Like a teacher, the faithful Christian communicates sound doctrine to capable students.
- You never have to experience spiritual burnout.
- What is the theme of 2 Timothy?
- Was this challenge only meant for Timothy from Paul?
- Paul gives several models of the faithful Christian in this chapter. Which model is emphasized in this lesson?
- List the four links to the teaching process given in 2 Timothy 2:2.
- What is the key to the teaching process?
- To whom did the Lord Jesus preach and teach? What does this say to us today?
- “Hanging in there,” which means that no matter what happens (persecution from outside, false teaching within, failure of believers), just hang in there and be true and steadfast and dedicated.
- No! It is God’s word to us. The challenge is clear to be a faithful and steadfast believer, even though persecution may be painful and costly, and even though others around us may be falling away and doing their own thing.
- The teacher
- a. receive revelation from the Lord Himself and pass it on
b. the student receives the things of sound doctrine
c. entrust sound doctrine to faithful students of the word
d. faithful students pass on sound doctrine to other faithful Christians
- Good communication
- He spoke to the multitudes, but He chose twelve disciples with whom He spent quality teaching time. We, like Timothy, are to evangelize, speaking to many, but we are to look for those faithful students with whom we can communicate and to whom we can entrust sound doctrine.
- Are you faithful in standing fast in the face of persecution, ridicule and false teaching?
- Are you a good communicator? What skills could you obtain that would help you to become a better communicator?
- Are you a teacher who is ready to pass on sound doctrine to others? Do you seek out those faithful students who show promise of passing on sound doctrine to others?
- Have you sensed spiritual burnout? How can it be avoided? Refer to 2 Timothy 2:1. Do you confuse spiritual burnout with physical burnout? What can be done to avoid the latter?
- “Be strong in the grace that is in Christ Jesus.” 2 Timothy 2:1
- “The things that you have heard… commit these to faithful men who will be able to teach others also.” 2 Timothy 2:2