2 Timothy 1:13-18
Talks for Growing Christians
Call to be Faithful to the Sound Doctrine of the Word of God
2 Timothy 1:13-18
Lesson Number 4
- Every Christian is commanded to stick to the standard of sound doctrine.
- Every Christian is commanded to guard the deposit of sound doctrine.
- Let’s not follow Phygellus and Hermogenes into God’s Hall of Shame.
- Let’s follow Onesiphorus into God’s Hall of Fame.
- What is meant by Paul’s chain?
- Why did the Christians turn away from Paul?
- Timothy was exhorted to hold fast and guard the sound doctrine of the Christian faith. This letter was written by Paul to Timothy, and not to us. Right?
- What is the “good thing” written of in 2 Timothy 1:14?
- List the 3 Ds that we should guard against.
- Why is so much sin and moral corruption tolerated within the church today?
- Why do some Christians today accept the idea that there are errors in the Bible?
- Paul was chained in a dungeon in a Roman prison. This was during his second imprisonment in Rome. (During his first imprisonment in Rome he was under house arrest, chained to a Roman guard).
- Probably because of fear of the Roman persecutions of Christians. To identify with Paul was to do so at the risk of death.
- Wrong. This is not just a first century letter from Paul to Timothy, but it is God’s word to us today. We, too, are exhorted to hold fast and guard the sound doctrine of the faith.
- The good thing, deposit or treasure, is the gospel and the sound doctrines of Scripture.
- Distortion, dilution, and deletion
- Because the sound doctrine of sin has not been guarded.
- Because the sound doctrine of the inerrancy of Scripture has not been guarded.
- How important is it to you to hold fast to sound doctrine? How well have you guarded against distortion, dilution and deletion?
- Do you fear to stand with faithful believers because of the possibility of persecution or ridicule? Give an example of when you stood firm regardless of the consequences.
- Review the men who were in God’s Hall of Shame, and those in God’s Hall of Fame. Why were they in one list or the other? Where do you stand in God’s Hall?
- “Hold fast the pattern of sound words which you have heard from me, in faith and love which are in Christ Jesus.” 2 Timothy 1:13
- “That good thing which was committed to you, keep by the Holy Spirit that dwells in us.” 2 Timothy 1:14