2 Samuel 8
Talks for Growing Christians
David Expands the Kingdom
2 Samuel 8
Lesson Number 8
- The Lord helps committed believers in spiritual warfare.
- The Lord helps committed believers in spiritual administration.
- Assume that there are no contradictions in the Bible.
- How does 2 Samuel 7:10-11 relate to this passage?
- How far did David’s kingdom expand?
- What do these conquests of David picture spiritually?
- Who were the Cherethites and Pelethites (verse 18)?
- Why should we assume that there are no contradictions in the Bible?
- The Davidic covenant included the promise that all of Israel’s enemies would be defeated and Israel would be planted in the land and have rest from all her enemies. Here we see that promise playing out as David was given military strength and strategy to defeat Israel’s enemies.
- The expanse of the kingdom began to approach the boundaries of the land that God had given to Abraham and his descendants – from Egypt to the Euphrates. David was really continuing the conquest of the Promised Land that had not been completed under Joshua.
- They look forward to the return of the Lord in judgment when all the enemies of the restored and converted nation of Israel will be subdued. They also portray principles for victory in spiritual warfare for believers.
- They were elite military troops in Israel.
- Because the Bible is God’s Word and therefore inerrant. The original biblical documents contain no errors, because the Bible is the inspired Word of God.
- Discuss the principles for victory in spiritual warfare that we can learn from 2 Samuel 8.
1 -- The enemy forces must be defeated, captured, and destroyed (2 Corinthians 10:3-5).
2 -- The Lord helps committed believers in spiritual warfare.
- Is your church or ministry lacking in administration? Turn to the Lord for help. God is not a God of disorder and inefficiency, and He will help you to be more effective and efficient if you look to Him.
- “So the LORD preserved David wherever he went.” 2 Samuel 8:6,14
- “So David reigned over all Israel; and David administered judgment and justice to all his people.” 2 Samuel 8:15