2 Samuel 23:13-39
Talks for Growing Christians
The Valiant Deeds of More of David’s Mighty Men
2 Samuel 23:13-39
Lesson Number 24
- Spiritual worship involves love, courage, and sacrifice.
- Spiritual warfare involves the world, the flesh, and the devil.
- What is one good reason for this roster of David’s soldiers?
- Recall how Benaiah’s heroic achievements can give us insight into our struggle against the world, the flesh, and the devil.
- Who was Joab? Is he listed as one of David’s mighty men?
- Who is a surprising inclusion in the list of David’s mighty men?
- Lists of names in genealogies or rosters authenticate the historicity of the biblical account. These names authenticate the Old Testament characters as real people who actually lived in history and make it harder for critics to dismiss them as Jewish folklore.
- The world – Egypt was an enemy of Israel and represents the world in our picture of spiritual warfare. As God redeemed His people out of Egypt, so God has redeemed us out of this world. The world at times looks impressive to us as the Egyptian looked to Benaiah, but Benaiah used the Egyptian’s own spear to defeat him!
The flesh – The flesh is the sinful fallen human nature that we all possess and must overcome. The Moabites can be representative of the flesh when it is not under control. Benaiah showed no mercy to the Moabites, so we must show no mercy in overcoming the flesh.
The devil – Satan is pictured as a lion in 1 Peter 5:8. Benaiah took the offensive and killed a lion in a pit.
- Joab was a brave and courageous military commander in David’s army. But he did not please the heart of David. He fought for David, but he did not always obey David and was often out for his own advancement.
- Uriah the Hittite (verse 39)
- Reread and discuss the beautiful picture of worship in the actions of the three mighty men of verses 15-17. Spiritual worship involves love, courage, and sacrifice.
- Joab was brave and courageous, but he was a self-seeking individual. As a result, Joab did not make David’s list of mighty men. Are you on the Lord’s list of mighty ones?
- “So the three mighty men broke through the camp of the Philistines, drew water from the well of Bethlehem that was by the gate, and took it and brought it to David. Nevertheless he would not drink it, but poured it out to the LORD.” 2 Samuel 23:16