2 Kings 12:1-10
Talks for Growing Christians
King Jehoash Plans to Repair the Temple in Jerusalem
2 Kings 12:1-10
Lesson Number 24
- The Lord’s people will give voluntarily when they know where the money is going.
- The Lord’s people will give voluntarily when they see what the money is doing.
- When Plan A is not working, try Plan B.
- Who was the youngest king to ascend the throne in Judah? How old was he at that time?
- What made him a good king?
- What particularly good thing did he do as king?
- Why did the voluntary giving by the people slacken?
- What prompted the people to start giving again?
- Joash. He was seven years old when he began to reign.
- The primary factor for Joash being a good king was that he had a good teacher and mentor in the high priest, Jehoida, who instructed him in the things of the Lord.
- He repaired the house of the Lord, which had fallen into disrepair under Athaliah’s reign.
- They didn’t know where their money was going. They had been told that it was to go to repairing the temple, but they saw no changes.
- They began giving when they saw results and when they knew where their money was going. There was a new plan, whereby a chest with a slot in it was placed in the temple where the people could see it and contribute to the repair of the temple. As the people gave, the chest was emptied and put into temple repair. Also, there was a responsible accounting of the moneys by both the high priest and a royal scribe.
- Have you ever given to the Lord’s work and become discouraged because you didn’t see any results or accountability from your giving? If so, did you cease to give to that particular ministry?
- Have you ever been in a position to give account of moneys received? If so, did you do this to the best of your ability to honor the Lord and to report back to the people?
- If you have been accountable for a project, were you willing to change plans if the plan you had been following wasn’t working?
- “Jehoash did what was right in the sight of the Lord all the days in which Jehoida the priest instructed him.” 2 Kings 12:2
- “All the money that a man purposes in his heart to bring into the house of the Lord.” 2 Kings 12:4