2 Kings 10:1-17
Talks for Growing Christians
King Jehu’s Eliminates Everyone Associated with King Ahab
2 Kings 10:1-17
Lesson Number 21
- Religious zeal may have a hidden agenda.
- Religious zeal can go too far.
- Let’s approve the programs of unbelievers when they are in line with the word of God.
- Which prophet predicted the downfall of the dynasty of King Ahab?
- What did Jehu do to establish his own dynasty?
- It is noted that Jehu had religious zeal, which may have a hidden agenda. What was Jehu’s?
- Religious zeal can go too far. Did Jehu take his zeal too far?
- Jehu removed any possible claims to the throne by remnants of Ahab’s line. He forced the hands of the officials and elders in Israel, and had them kill all seventy sons of Ahab, and then he killed the forty-two brothers or relatives of King Ahaziah of Judah. He had already killed King Ahaziah of Judah and King Jehoram of Israel.
- Jehu had a hidden agenda in his zealousness “for the Lord.” He planned to advance his own political career. He was not altruistic in wanting to serve the Lord, and to return the northern kingdom of Israel back to God.
- Jehu killed all that remained to Ahab in Samaria, “according to the word of the Lord.” God had commissioned Jehu to end the dynasty of Ahab, which he did. (However, Jehu went too far and he used gruesome Assyrian methods in this slaughter).
- Do you know someone who has great zeal for the Lord? Does he handle this zeal appropriately?
- How zealous are you for the Lord? Do you honor God in your zeal, or do you tend to go too far in following your agenda, rather than the Lord’s word alone?
- Jehonadab knew that Jehu was neither a God-fearing man, nor a believer committed to the Lord. But he approved Jehu’s program because it was in line with the word of God. List some non-Christian programs of which you could approve (e.g., disaster relief, helping homeless people). Are you involved in any of these kinds of programs?
- ”Know that nothing shall fall to the earth of the word of the Lord which the Lord spoke concerning the house of Ahab; for the Lord has done what He spoke by His servant Elijah.” 2 Kings 10:10
- ”Come with me, and see my zeal for the Lord.” 2 Kings 10:16