2 Chronicles 30-31
Talks for Growing Christians
The Great Results of Spiritual Revival under King Hezekiah
2 Chronicles 30-31
Lesson Number 20
- Revival results in obedience.
- Revival results in invitation.
- Revival results in separation.
- Revival results in celebration.
- Revival results in organization.
- Revival results in contribution.
- Revival results in distribution.
- Have a heart like Hezekiah's!
- What was Hezekiah's first step in leading the people to national revival?
- Who was invited to come celebrate the Passover? What was the condition of the nations at this time?
- What was the response of the Jews in the northern kingdom to the invitation to come to the Passover?
- Why did the people celebrate the Passover in the second month (verses 13-15)?
- How did Hezekiah ensure the spirit of revival would continue after the people returned home?
- He sent word to all Israel to come and celebrate the Passover. They had not celebrated the Passover as a nation for a long time - perhaps as much as 250 years.
- The invitation went out to all Judah, but was also sent by special courier to what was formerly the northern kingdom of Israel. The northern kingdom had already falling to the Assyrians who had taken some of the people into captivity.
- Some mocked the couriers, laughed at them and scorned (verse 10). But others responded with humility and faith and came to Jerusalem.
- Normally the Passover was celebrated in the first month of the Hebrew calendar, but according to the Law in Numbers 9, if people were not ceremonially clean they could celebrate the Passover in the second month. See 2 Chronicles 30:3.
- Hezekiah organized the priests and Levites in line with their respective divisions and responsibilities so that proper worship of the Lord would continue (31:32).
- Discuss the doctrinal point "Revival results in invitation." Do you find it easier to talk to people about your new diet, new haircut, or the latest movie than your relationship to Christ? Discuss why this might be. How can you increase your fervor for inviting people to join you in the abundant life?
- Discuss the doctrinal point "Revival results in contribution." Have you made giving to the Lord a priority in your personal budget? If so, what has been the result of this commitment?
- "Thus Hezekiah did throughout all Judah, and he did what was good and right and true before the LORD his God. 21 And in every work that he began in the service of the house of God, in the law and in the commandment, to seek his God, he did it with all his heart. So he prospered." 2 Chronicles 31:20-21.
This was the commendation at the end of Hezekiah's life. Do you want the praise of men or the praise of God?
- "Children of Israel, return to the LORD God of Abraham, Isaac, and Israel; then He will return to the remnant of you who have escaped from the hand of the kings of Assyria." 2 Chronicles 30:6
- "Since the people began to bring the offerings into the house of the LORD, we have had enough to eat and have plenty left, for the LORD has blessed His people; and what is left is this great abundance." 2 Chronicles 31:9