2 Chronicles 17
Talks for Growing Christians
Good King Jehoshaphat's Early Years
2 Chronicles 17
Lesson Number 10
- Spiritual revival demands separation from evil.
- Spiritual revival involves teaching God's word.
- Spiritual revival has widespread effects.
- Why not send out teaching teams!
- Who was king before Jehoshaphat (2 Chronicles 16)? Briefly summarize his reign.
- List a few spiritual lessons for older Christians from Asa's life.
- What were the high places (verse 6)? What were the asherim?
- Describe the teaching teams Jehoshaphat sent out in verses 7-9.
- What two effects of spiritual revival do we see in verses 10-11?
- Good King Asa started out well, bringing reform to the kingdom. Later he made an alliance with a pagan king rather than relying on the Lord. Asa died angry and bitter towards the Lord.
- -Older Christians who served the Lord faithfully should aim to finish strong.
-Older Christians need to graciously accept criticism.
-Older Christians should refrain from getting angry and hurting people.
-Older Christians should not be bitter towards the Lord when life does not go as expected.
- The high places were the hilltops around the country where idolatry was practiced. The asherim were wooden images to a Phoenician goddess associated with Baal worship.
- Jehoshaphat sent out teams of priests and Levites who knew God's Word along with government officials to give the teaching teams authority and organization.
- 1. The unbelieving world will see that something supernatural is happening.
2. God will raise up support from unexpected sources.
- Tolerance for all people's choices, lifestyles, and religion is the emphasis in our society today. Where is the place for tolerance in the Christian life? When God's people allow sinful activity and evil to exist in their lives and fellowship, it is not a sign of tolerance, but evidence of a hardened conscience.
- Discuss the difference between a spiritual awakening and a spiritual revival. Refer to Romans 10:17 and Hosea 4:6. Which is more needed in your community- an awakening or a revival?
- Do you desire to see a spiritual revival in your own life, your church, or your nation? Revival involves teaching God's Word! Dig in for yourself and be bold to share with others. The Word of God is powerful to bring revival.
- "And his heart took delight in the ways of the LORD; moreover he removed the high places and wooden images from Judah." 2 Chronicles 17:6
- "So they taught in Judah, and had the Book of the Law of the LORD with them; they went throughout all the cities of Judah and taught the people." 2 Chronicles 17:9