2 Chronicles 13-14
Talks for Growing Christians
The Reigns of Kings Abijah and Asa
2 Chronicles 13-14
Lesson Number 8
- It is right to denounce false systems of worship.
- It is right to destroy false items of worship.
- Let's trust the Lord and blow the trumpets.
- Pray, for God's sake!
- What happened to the United Kingdom of Israel after the death of Solomon?
- What was the religious condition in the northern kingdom?
- What was the religious condition of the southern kingdom?
- How many kings ruled over the kingdom of Judah? How many of them were good kings?
- What acts qualified Asa as a good king of Judah?
- The kingdom split with the southern kingdom of Judah following Solomon's son, King Rehoboam, and the northern ten tribes of Israel following Jeroboam I.
- Jeroboam had set up two golden calf idolatrous shrines for worship. The true priests of the Lord had been driven out and replaced with anyone who was willing to go along with the false system of worship (12:8-9).
- True worship of the one true God was taking place at the Temple in Jerusalem. This true worship was in line with the Law of God (2 Chronicles 13:10-11).
- Twenty kings ruled over the kingdom of Judah, but only eight are listed as good kings.
- Asa not only followed the Lord, but in his reform he destroyed the false items of worship.
- Even though Abijah and the army of Judah were outnumbered two to one, they successfully defeated Jeroboam. They trusted the Lord and blew the trumpets. Blowing the trumpets was in line with the Law of God (Numbers 10:9). Has there been a time when you "blew the trumpets" by having a bold and clear testimony for the Lord? This is a key to victory in spiritual warfare.
Discuss some false items of worship that people may have today. Sometimes these may be decorative items that people have around their home, but demons can still be associated with these items. Be diligent to rid your home of false items of worship.
- Discuss some false items of worship that people may have today. Sometimes these may be decorative items that people have around their home, but demons can still be associated with these items. Be diligent to rid your home of false items of worship.
- How often do you pray for things to happen in your life so that God would be glorified? Pray, for God's sake.
- "For we keep the command of the LORD our God, but you have forsaken Him." 2 Chronicles 13:11
- "Asa did what was good and right in the eyes of the LORD his God... He commanded Judah to seek the LORD God of their fathers, and to observe the law and the commandment." 2 Chronicles 14:2,4